A Message from an Atheist

This was posted on December 21st, days after the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, and on the day that some believed the Mayan calendar predicted the end of the world. 

A Message from an Atheist

Even though the video is just over twelve minutes in its entirety, it's really only about eight minutes, the last four being music with a simple on-screen message.

I predict that not many will watch it because they fear that it will be full of atheist vitriol (because we atheists are such hateful people, after all) or that it will challenge their beliefs (again, hardly ever welcome).  It's a thoughtful message, though, and what I take from it most of all is that we depend on each other in so many ways.  We need each other, and should love each other. 

Unless you watch it with preconceived notions and can't listen to it without forming your arguments against what he says (in other words, not really listening at all), I think most people will be able to appreciate the message.

Let's discuss it. 

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 12:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2013 in Religious Debate

•  No this video didn't challenge my beliefs anymore than a 12 minute video about why I do believe in God would challenge his beliefs.

I can understand why he feels the way he does, but he doesn't appreciate the fact that I've given as much thought to what I believe in as he has. We've just come to different conclusions.  

I don't know why people suffer more than others, but I have felt the influence of God in my life, this belief  doesn't except me from suffering. We all carry pain whether you believe in God or not.  

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I watched this video three times and it's definitely anti God.  Any message about reaching out to help one another is about 20 sec of 12 min  video.  Yes it's good to rely on  one another, however that is not the main message of the video.  The video says " believing in a God harms everyone". 

Believing that atheism is the reason for all the problems in the world is just as bad as believing that the simple belief in  God harms everyone.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• "my only hope is that this coming generation...will see the lies for what they are...that they will see how empty & impotent & small the God they worship really is. that they will finally start asking those questions that lead to truth & freedom from the chains of a belief that reduces them to pawns or cannon fodder "

his message of lets work together b/c we are all in this together, which i agree with, is lost in his preaching about why there is no God. his intentions may have been good, but he failed to do what he says we all need to do...work together. he can think he is right, Christians can think they are right, & we CAN work together despite thinking the other is wrong. we need to stop trying to convince other ppl how right we are & just accept that others belief differently & move on.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Me not watching it has nothing to do with atheism, I simply don't have 12, or even 8, minutes patience.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Ok I watched almost 5 minutes before not only my patience ran out but this guy has nothing "eye opening" to say. In the 5 minutes I got through he said nothing I'm sure has not crossed everyone's mind at one point and the things he said he learned and was told in his upbringing are questionable, not Christian. I personally do not care what anyone believes or does not believe nor do I believe in trying to change anyone's opinion but I will say that this man does not have a clear understanding of Christianity so I am not surprised at his point of view. Lastly, I am a semi-somewhat "Christian" often unsure of what I believe, so this is not coming from a hardcore bible thumper with a "preconceived notion" about atheism.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Did you watch the same video I did. The first 3 minutes were him describing what he used to believe as a kid. Which was in god and angels.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

•  think the both of you have done exactly what the OP was afraid of happening.

~~

If this video was reversed and a Christian talked about how wrong atheism is and how wrong the belief was, but at the end told everyone we just need to work together and I love you all.  I don't think you would appreciate the message of the video either.

I stated I can understand why he feels the way he does, but 90% of the video is very condescending.  If a Christian put out a video like this there is no way you'd watch it with an open mind.  I was very interested in his thoughts, unfortunately he can't express them without telling everyone who disagrees with him how wrong them are.  I love him too, if that makes him feel better.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I love how many are ignoring the message which focuses on relying on one another and oneself in order to change the world for the better and make life better and instead are attacking the video as being an attempt to drive them away from religion. It's not.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• You took one statement Ryan'smom and did not listen to the context in which it was being stated.
    Maecnt- I find it humerous that you admit to not listening to it fully after stating it wasn't worth your time to begin with and you feel like you understand teh message enough to comment on it. So why bother?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• And you said you weren't going to watch it at all.
    KristiS11384