Does hypnotism really work?

Have you or anyone you were close to ever been hypnotised? I was wondering if it really works. I would like to try it to see if I could remember anything useful about my neighbor's murder yesterday. Since it was so common to see different people coming & going over there, I generally dismissed it. Nothing stands out any more, since it was so common, kwim? But what if 1 of those people was the one? Kinda scary. What do you think? Useful or not?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Good morning and Happy New Year to you.
    Being hypnotised has been useful in solving crimes.
    I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:53 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• When I was about 13 I had a family friend who was my dentist that taught me to relax & ignore pain through hypnotism. Really I never went unconscious but I learned how to relax so much that to this day my threshold for pain is very high. I never have any novocaine when I need teeth filled. My new Dentist says I am his only patient that is like that. I don't even flinch. He's more nervous than me when he does a filling. It applied to child birth as well. I have never been unconscious during hypnotism.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:01 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Yes it does work mrsmom, but not everyone is able to be hypnotized. When I first went, the Dr. put me under and the dug his nails into my hand. I would have never believed it, had he not pointed it out. I didn't feel a thing. I can hear things, like him, the music in the background, the cars going by, and even his phone ringing, but I feel so rested and relaxed when we are done. At one session, I can remember crying, but I have no idea why. I remember he asked me about my childhood and a happy time. Strange...... My sessions were for anxiety. It would be beneficial for me to go about every two weeks, but I stopped going. It got to be too expensive when I wasn't working.

I think it will work for you--- with the proper person doing it. Good luck to you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:52 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• It does for some and not for others. It did no work on me because I have difficulty allowing myself to be undersomeone else's control. It is part of my personality. I got a small headache. Hubby coul not be put under and had no effects..
    SIL went under in a couple o seconds. Maybe he had been hypnotized before. The more you are hypnotized the easier it is, I am told. He had good results with the suggestions to curb his eating.My father could not be hypnotized but my mother was and she stopped smoking for a while but then picked it back up.
    I had a couple of friends get on stage and and the guy had them doing all sorts of things but nothing they would not have done to start with. He also tried with me and failed.
    I have had a couple of other friends who swear by it and have quit smoking an are happily not smoking now. I guess it just depends.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:52 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• If you think you might have information burried in you brain do to the police they sometimes have someone that can help you remember.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I paid to have someone hypnotize me for a past life regression. I believe it works.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I tried it once don't think it worked but I do think it can work.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Hey stranger! Thanks- it's been a bit unnerving to say the least. We suspect that there was dealing going on over there for a while, so like I said, it was quite common for different people to be over there at various times. I don't know where I would go to even try it, or even if anything would come of it. Anyway, that aside, hope you & your family had a great New Year's! Hope this means you will be less of a stranger here in Answers! :)

mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• But I'm wondering if it could help me remember details of what I normally considered mundane, & bring more details to those memories. Anything that could be useful. Like being able to match a memory of person at their house around the time the murder took place.
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2013