how do I keep my high school daughter interested in college?

My daughter is not college age yet, but I am afraid she will become distracted when it is time for college. I have a son who is in his 2nd year of college, he plays football so his introduction to college was a little different and I had very little say so in it. I plan to make her college introduction both entertaining and interesting. I would like to take a road trip with her a weekend during the summer and visit a few local/instate college every summer until she graduates high school. my fear is she will lose interest, I have friends who have groomed their daughters for their "chosen profession" right up until they graduated and when it came to entering college the daughter dismissed college all together. did they push too hard? my son was told college is not an option it was must to survive comfortable in the world, and he has no more respect for education then he did in high school. how do i keep her wanting college?

fitmom1987

Asked by fitmom1987 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• our schools made 3 visits er year a requirement in 11th adn 12th grade
    all you can really do is hope she WANTS to go, if she doesnt its a waste of money to force her. Many college graduates are struggling more than those who do not have a degree because companies do not want to pay what they are worth.

No college is not a sentence to a horrible life.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 3:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Show her the difference between the average salary of someone with just a high school diploma and the average salary of college graduates. Really, that should be enough!
    But other than that, college is really a lot of fun and I can't believe people would rather give up 4 years of college in exchange for starting to work! Not that college isn't work, but it's really not the "real world" either.
    I don't really think visiting more than 3-4 colleges is necessary. You want to make sure the ones she looks at will have the major(s) she is interested in pursuing - going to a college that isn't strong in her area of interest is IMO a waste of time.
    Are most of her friends planning on going to college? All of my friends were/did and so not going wasn't even a thought. There's no reason to push towards a specific major in college right now but through high school she should get a good idea of what area she would like to move in.

Answer by missanc at 3:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Has she figured out what she wants to do in life? Have you made it a priority for her to be able to support herself without a partner? College usually is an outgrowth of those two things. I knew I wanted to be a journalist. And I knew that NOBODY would hire me as a journalist unless I had a college degree. Therefore, college was mandatory.

What made it equally mandatory, though, was that my mother made it very clear to me that it was not acceptable to be 100% dependent upon a husband for food, shelter, etc. That a responsible woman could support herself and any family she had, and that it was irresponsible to start a family without that ability.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Seriously, have her interview or job shadow at McDonalds. Tell her this is her future unless she gets an education. Honestly, I found that once all my friends got to college and I lacked the motivation, I panicked at the idea of staying in my home town by myself doing nothing. I raced to the nearest community college and entered a state school the second semester. I'd never worked so hard. Sometimes it just takes a reality check.
    Anonymous

• Don't push her to go to college if she doesn't want to because all you will be doing is wasting her time and your money. Allow her to explore her career options without to much stress from you. Honestly I didn't know what I wanted to do until I was in my early 20's after working in different fields. I went back to school when I was 24 and am almost finished but believe me I value the information I receive more than the 18-22 year olds in my class. She might discover her passion once she is in the working world and many employers are willing to pay for education reducing the burden on the parents.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• So far my two oldest have chosen college on their own. The oldest is now a freshman in college and did very well her first semester. The second is only in high school still, but is choosing colleges based on interests she has for possible majors. The one thing I have done is make it clear to them that college is a choice. I'm not going to force them. Encourage them, yes, but not force them.

Ask her where she'd like to go, and make a point of looking at those places first. If they are too far away to plan a trip right away, then spend time online with her researching and planning an eventual visit. The more input a child feels they have in the situation, the more choice they have in where to go and what to major in, the more success they will have in college. I know this from my own experience when I was in college, and I have learned from my parents' mistakes.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• The hard thing is that kids by sophmore/jr year start getting in that "rut" I know, I am going thru it now!
    My son is heavy in his school marching band and is on the varsity tennis team.his grades are ok, 3.0 but he just is not in to it or anything at all! His friends are all about the ACT, getting high scores on the test, preparing for college, honor roll etc. but my son - "just not that in to it"..
    So I believe that when we start taking him to visit colleges and he sees what it has to offer things may change drastically.
    I just wish he would realize that getting the college degree is his key to LIFE!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 3:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• thank you for all the responses, most of the suggestions i have done but when ask her where she wants to go she doesnt know. I dont want to demand she thinks about it because then I think she will feel pressured. she mentioned vetinarian for years but i suspect that will chnge, but in the mean time do I support that dream or act like its not a big deal?
    fitmom1987

Comment by fitmom1987 (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• It is more important to find out what she would like to do wth her life and show her all different options. Then help her to figure out how she is going to reach the goal of doing something she really wants to do with her life. Not all of them involve college. It is her life and her choice.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Zero in on her passions that could lead to a satisfying career. She doesn't have to make tons of money but hopefully will do something rewarding and be able to support herself. Look for opportunitites for her to foster her passions now....for example, if she is into photography have her join a camera club, etc. Go over what clubs are in the school or in the town and get her interested. Local colleges offer some clubs that residents can join too. Also, do some research to find out what education is required for some careers that might interest her. Not all professions require a college degree. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 4:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2013