What do you do when your kids make a smart comment or continue to say dumb comments?

Not directly to an adult but just messing around like while playing a video game or watching a movie.
I know those are the culprits but how do I get them to stop acting like this?

THX!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Jan. 1, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• "Knock it off & if I hear that again, I'm taking the game away/turning off the TV & you can vacuum for me!"

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I think if you take action immediately and every time he does it then eventually it will sink in. Really make him vacuum! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Mine loose priviliges - like no electronics at all until they earn it back with a "reprive" - the consequences are usually clean our bathroom, clean out the car...they hate that! But it works.
    The other is just give them the big "if it continues, I pull the plug to the box on your comuter games (it includes phones too)" and needless to say we nip that in the bud super darn quick!
    But they are more mouthy to me than to my husband at times, so I really stick it to them by going to airport utility and that just really drives them mad! But hey, don't mess with the one who has the most control :)
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 5:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• @ ILoveMyPaulie LOL...what if that still doesn't work...last night my dh told our ds11 to do something and while my dh was in the bathroom myds11 starts saying these dumb comments on what was on television he thinks he's funny my dh caught him saying stuff and sent him to his room.
    I want to be able that when we say something we mean it, but notice how my ds did not do this in front of his dad.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I make smart comments during movies and games. Especially ones I have seen over and over with DH. We "interact" with the movie. lol
    It is harmless depending on the comments and the company.
    If it is objectionable, I would makethem leave and go somewhere to be alone, no tv, games, computer etc. and tell them that they can not return until they can act well in the company of others (I would point out what they are doing that you don't like)
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Best thing to do is when they say something you do not like . To take action immediately.

My way would be to inform them not to say those type of things.  If that didn't work  to take the game or tv away. I would do the pop them up side the back of their head.  But that's just me.

Answer by louise2 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I laugh at the comments sometimes. Other times, I ignore it. My feeling is, the person might want an argument, and I cannot satisfy that need.
    ns1969

Answer by ns1969 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Some of the comments I simply ignore or even laugh about... our 11 yr old knows that if we catch him
    talking like that to someone or towards us... he's done... no more nothing (games/pc/phone/Ipod/) for 2wks and that is a start...
    If it gets out of hand, then I will tell him to knock it off/stop talking like that I don't like what I am hearing...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2013

• is he saying what he hears on tv?
    give an example of what you mean
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Ignore it.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2013