Extreme reflux

They told us that as a preemie having a weak hiatal is normal and that she'd grow into it as she moved toward her due date. Well she hit her due date two weeks ago and is just short of a failure to thrive diagnosis. We're on 22 calorie mix of Alimentum with rice cereal mixed in and daily Zantac. She's still not gaining weight quite like she should and can't even have a bowel movement without vomiting a little. On bad nights she sleeps in her carseat which has done the most to stop the vomiting.
We have a well child in a week where I'll bounce things off the doctor but any ideas on what worked for your kids?

Yes I've already done the obvious feed small amounts with a small nipple. So we've changed bottles,we've nipples and we've burped frequently. What's left to change?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 4:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Zantac didn't help my kids at all. Both of my kids ended up on Prevacid and Reglan. The Prevacid helped a lot, but the Reglan made all the difference in the world! Good luck.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• The problem may be the formula. Alimentum may not be the right one for her. The rice could also be making her worse rather than better. You may need to go to something different; talk with your doc about it. Relactating is another possibility if you want to look into it.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Zantac never worked for my boys. Docs tend to give the very lowest possible dose for a child's weight and when baby grows, that does is not even theraputic. Plus it tastes like peppermint vodka and my kids always fought it going in. My oldest had to take it because there was nothing else on the market. My youngest took an adult dose of Prevacid solutabs and something called Karafate.

Mine were also EBF and had milk protein allergies (as opposed to lactose intolerance.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2013