Question for those who had ever been diagnosed with gestational diabetes

Did you eat a lot of sweets during your pregnancy that onset GD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• eating lots of sweets has nothing to do with GD, it is mainly the weight gain that cause it... Do you have diabetes in your family? most women do not devolpe diabetes after giving birth and the GD goes away once the extra weight is off.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:44 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• No, but I did crave sugar. And I did develop diabetes later in life and had two pregnancies with GD. When I got pregnant with my daughter I was 200 when I gave birth I was at 170. You control your excess carb intake without going into ketoacidosis. Keep your carbs low. :) and yes it does help.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• GD just means your pancreas is pooped out. It doesn't happen because you did something wrong. It just happens.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I gained average weight (25-30) with my 3rd and I had gd. I don't believe weight gain had anything to do with it. I craved sweets with all 3 of my pregnancies. I'm not sure if all the sugar caused it...but controlling my diet was the most I had to do, plus check my blood sugar 3 times a day. Because I kept my blood sugar down there was no need for insulin.
    .
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 8:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2009