Starting my own business

I want to start my own business that I can eventually turn into a home party business. I do plastic canvas but am afraid that the items will take to long to make. Any suggestions on other ideas?

charleyangel317

Asked by charleyangel317 at 6:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2013 in Money & Work

• To be honest, I don't see plastic canvas as being a profitable home party business. Most home party businesses have more than just one type of item. I do think it would be good for craft fairs and things like that. Maybe set up a Facebook page for it and attend any and all craft fairs that you can.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:40 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• What is plastic canvas?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Do you have any other suggestions?
    charleyangel317

Comment by charleyangel317 (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Well I started out making tissue box covers but now I make necklace pendants, baskets, party favors, villages, centerpieces, wall hangings and things like that. It is like cross stitch but instead of the canvas being cloth it is plastic. Google shows some great pics
    charleyangel317

Comment by charleyangel317 (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Why does it have to be a home party business? 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Well I wanted to eventually get it to that point. Doesn't have to be.
    charleyangel317

Comment by charleyangel317 (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• What about selling them at craft shows, maybe on Etsy or eBay?? My MIL used to make the girls barbie doll furniture like that. It was so cute!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I would just do what you love to do and obviously that is plastic canvas. Do the craft fairs/shows and the suggestions that M-avi gave you. In the future, maybe you could add on to it by creating your own designs and selling the designs in a kit or something. If you have another art/craft talent maybe you could merge them together and do craft kits as a home party businesses.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Thanks Ladies. Looks like I am sticking with Plastic Canvas. I have some of my own designs. I really appreciate your honesty.
    charleyangel317

Comment by charleyangel317 (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I would set up a shop on etsy doing what you love. And I also like the idea of eventually making craft kits to sell with some of your simpler designs, instructions and the supplies.

Answer by missanc at 11:20 AM on Jan. 2, 2013