Formula fed babies to mothers who are on assistance????

Do you think its fair that SOME people get free formula for their baby when they are capable of breastfeeding?
I can understand if you are unable to BF, but how does one just choose not to BF and why does the gov't allow this?
Just curious....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it would be too much for the government to require women to have to PROVE that they cannot breastfeed before being given formula, that seems like a bit of an invasion of privacy. And the government wouldn't want to deny formula to women who are unable to BF.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:55 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• allow?? Your bullshitting me right??
    Kimeley

Answer by Kimeley at 7:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• If it's a question of money, if you breastfeed most programs (WIC) will supply food to the moms. If they formula feed the moms still get a small amount of food and formula. There are also some plans in the middle for some breastfeeding etc. They strongly encourage breastfeeding and offer a lot of support to moms who want to breast feed. Personally I really wanted to bf but I'm not making enough milk for my little guy. They offered me everything they could but my body won't cooperate.....The government can't force people to bf but they do encourage it and offer support to those who will.
    Makieno

Answer by Makieno at 7:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Also let me add, America is about freedom.
    Kimeley

• Haha yeah I guess allow probably wasn't the right word!
    Anonymous

• i really think your stupid for even asking such a dumb ? mabe alot of women just cant bf i got 3 kids i only bf my last one then i went on wic after 1 year with my other 2 i was on wic so what do u think of that ?????
    Anonymous

• Hmmm... interesting question. You made me think. I was actually one of those mothers. With my daughter I breast fed her for the first 3 months, then when I went back to work I switched her to formula. With my son I breast fed for the first month. I was struggling with postpartum and decided to stop breast feeding and get on meds. In both situations I received WIC. Now that I think about it, if WIC wasn't available to me unless it was totally necessary, obviously I would have continued breast feeding. Perhaps the gov't could ask for a doctor's note stating the mother is unable to breast feed. It would help the economy AND encourage bonding and the more healthier option. And yes, I do believe that breast feeding is the healthier of the two. DON'T SEND ME HATE MAIL. It's just my opinion, and I don't judge anyone for taking the formula route. Hell, I did.

Miss_Kasey

Answer by Miss_Kasey at 8:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Ummm no...You are really stupid, because the post clearly states that "I can understand if you are unable to breastfeed"
    What do I think about you being on WIC? I think you are LUCKY that there are programs out there to help you. I also think you are lucky that people work very hard everyday and pay taxes to help support these programs. Thats what I think.
    Anonymous

• miss kacee go suck something
    Anonymous

• ^^ I understand what you're saying (OP). I mean from a monetary stand, it makes much more sense for low income mothers to breastfeed. It's FREE. So why should the government support the CHOICE to feed a baby formula that she cannot afford? Why should the government pay for her choice? Theoretically, it's a great point. However, as I previously mentioned, I think even if the government took that stance, it would seem like an invasion of privacy to tell the difference between mothers who can't and mothers who don't want to breastfeed. And the government wouldn't want to deny support to women who medically cannot breastfeed.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2009