How to potty train a boy by 24 months

I am taking care of a 19 month old boy, and his parents want him potty trained by 24 months. What is the best method? My children are all parents themselves, so it has been too many years to remember. I do recall using treats and rewards for coming a sitting and then especially when he/she eliminated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was never sucessful potty training before three. We did however use rewards . Also, when it is time to teach standing, have him aim at cheerios. I would caution the parents that there is no guarantee and the kid will not go to Kindergarten still going in a diaper. Really and truly at that age it is more training the parent than training the kid because the parent must do all the work!
    MariElizbeth

Answer by MariElizbeth at 8:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I am just curious as to why you have to do the potty training. It is up to the parents to start not the sitter. You are supposed to follow their lead on this one. My neighbor used a reward system with her 2 year old. But you have to remember that if they aren't ready then they won't do it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Im also curious to know why your taking care of him, and why does the parents say he has to be potty trainned by 24 months. Most boys are lucky to be potty trainned by 3 years old.. If your watching him and keeping him, why does it matter to his parents. If hes not showing interest in the potty chances are he wont do it even with rewards. My daughter is 22 months old and shes been potty trainned for about a month now. She started it on her own she would tell me, and i started taking her. If he doesnt show signs it may not happen.
    Anonymous