Is there anyway you can find a sibling that got adopted, even if it was a closed adoption??

My Mom adopted my brother out and he is my only biological brother and im wanting to find him??

Stevimazzanti

Asked by Stevimazzanti at 11:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2013 in Adoption

• I would register on online adoption databases.  That way if your brother registers also, you'll be able to connect with each other.

https://www.adopted.com/about.html

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Where was he born and adopted? Each State varies in law about disclosure of adoption info.
    You need to know what you're entitled to disclose and receive as a sibling. Some states will not assist in disclosure until the adoptee is 25yo! You really need to find out (law) that you're working with.

Is your Mom willing to search, and reunite?
    In general, she'd have more leverage in seeking him and his info. Some states (agencies, ect) do not recognize siblings searching.

My suggestion, find adoption search/support groups in the area of his adoption, as well as close to you in location if you've moved. NETWORK!!
    Oh, if you have a smartphone- check out the "adoption search journal" app. It looks like it would be helpful to keep notes of what you've done- and where you've registered at for mutual consent registries- there are thousands out there!
    Godspeed finding your brother. No more secrets lies and shame!
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 7:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I really don't know but I hope you find him.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• You can as once the adopted child is 18 they can access the information, so I would register as Ryan'smom said.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• If you write your information and contact the hospital where your brother was born and ask them to place your information in his medical records, down the line a doctor/nurse will let him know that this information is in his file, giving him the chance to contact you if he wants to, and doesn't break any privacy laws. It might take a year or two, but your medical records follow you where ever you go, and eventually your request will catch up with him. Hope this helps you.
    Sierrarose99

Answer by Sierrarose99 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• How old is he ?He and you both have to be 18 or older. How old are you ?

Contact the agency she went through ,they should take your info ,you may need to supply your b.c. and sign some notarized forms.Some agencies will initiate a search for a fee and ask him if he desires contact.Be prepared to jump ,leap ,bend over backwards through hoops to make the agency happy.

My agency lied for 17 years to both me and my son...we both looked.It is a place to start as well as the registries on line.Google registries for the state he was born in.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 7:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• I used a PI after 6 years of both searching on my own and paying an agent of Washington State to search and make contact on my behalf. If you hire anyone- do your homework on them FIRST before you part with a penny.
    Get recommendations, check for bad reviews, BBB, ect.
    I went with one that had a no find- no fee policy.
    If your state has a confidential intermediary program, consider holding off on hiring them as a last resort.
    There is no guarantee of them providing ANYTHING for the fees they charge. You just might be out the $$$ without any answers.

adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 12:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• This may be helpful for you to determine the ease of getting info on your brother from the secret keepers

http://69.36.175.127/state-adoption-disclosure-laws-at-a-glance/

http://www.adoptionbirthmothers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/The-United-States-of-denied-adoption-infographic-copy.jpg

If you have any questions post them. Many here can help.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 12:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Frog it would probably depend on what kind of info the searcher has to begin with.
    When I began search all I had was my dob, and location of my birth. With that info it's not a skip trace, or general locate for a PI.

An adoption PI would know where how to obtain other pcs or clues for more detail.
    For instance, know where the obscure legal notices of adoption were published during that time frame and where they are archived.
    Or know how to decode the amended Bcert filing number.

I used an adoption PI located in North Carolina. I live in Maryland. I was born and adopted in Seattle WA.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 9:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2013

• Troy Dunn (the locator) takes and completes adoption cases nationwide.
    He and his team have figured out where to look to tie all the clues together.
    And they aren't sharing that info with us. They'd be out of $$ and fame in doing so.

Love what they're able to accomplish, and I thank them. But I can't wait for the day to put them into retirement!
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 9:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2013