How can I get my 6yr old to help me keep her room clean?

JellyStar

Asked by JellyStar at 7:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Get rid of a lot of toys, and clothes first. Whatever she doesn't play with or doesn't fit. Put it in the attic or donate/ sell it.

Then, put some things (puzzles, games, art supplies) in the closet so she can get them out but they're not out all of the time.

Make sure everything has a home in her room so she knows where it goes, and is not overwhelmed. If her sock drawer is overflowing, socks are gonna fall out while she is searching for the right pair, and she just needs a couple pairs during the summer...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My sister, when her daughter was six, had a similar problem. They gave her the option CLEAN YOUR ROOM OR LOSE YOUR TOYS. My niece decided, she still didn't want to clean. She actually said, "I'll just get new ones for my birthday" Well, she started singing a different tune when they went in and started packing it up. But they were firm with what they said and packed up all her toys. They didn't throw them away, but stored them in the shed for a while. Now, it's close to a year later, and she obviously learned her lesson, it's the cleanest kids room I've scene!
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 7:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My kids used to have really messy rooms until one day I went through and cleaned out all the broken toys all the toys they don't play with, any book that was ripped or scribbled in. Then I got an extra dresser to hold all the clothes that were just too tight in the drawers. Once their room was perfect all I had to do is remind them to tidy each day. It barely takes them 10 min per day to do it. You just can't really expect them to do it themselves if the job is too big as its just too overwhelming for them but theres nothing wrong with them keeping it up once its clean. If that doesn't work, my kids will do any household chore for $1
    Eliza34

Answer by Eliza34 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I don't fight the bedroom battle. My 6 yo is not allowed to have food in his room. His bedroom door gets kept closed. Dirty clothes go down the laundry shoot right away so they don't get lost in the room. He is not allowed to take toys out of his room and leave then around the house. Any toy at any time of day I find unattended out of his room, I put the date on it. He has exactly one month to redeem it out of his allowance or it gets donated. Allowance is not free it is earned by chores. Each chore has a money value. If his room is clean at the end of the week when we determine the value of the chores he has done he gets two bucks. He has only gotten paid for that chore three times in the last year and a half so his door is closed most of the time.
    mnwintercritter

Answer by mnwintercritter at 9:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• check out housefairy.com see if that works for you
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 10:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It's easier to teach a child to clean their room when they are younger. Just make a chart with her name on it. And write down the days of the week and everyday write down chores that you wnat her to do. And make sure she checks every chore off before you let her do anything fun that day.
    Allene29

Answer by Allene29 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2008