Did you baby proof? Did you secure the furniture to the wall?

I have to ask now. Someone sent me this gal's blog about a small dresser falling over and smothering her 3 year old. It was a sobering and sad reminder how important it is to secure the tv and other furniture.

My kids are bigger now but I still think it's worth repeating.

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 12:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2013 in General Parenting

• Yes. My son pulled a dresser over and we were so lucky that there was a big yoga ball in front of it that stopped it so it didn't crush him. After that the dressers were tethered to the walls. I was kicking myself for not doing that in the first place.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:19 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Our baby is due Feb.9th and my boyfriend has baby proofed almost everything in the house which I thought was my job to do
    Shaketa123

Answer by Shaketa123 at 1:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• We moved to a new-to-us house when our oldest was just a few months old - so I didn't really have to baby proof as I was able to set up household safely. I didn't attach furniture to walls though - and luckily in almost 11 years we've never had anything fall/tip except a van seat just a couple weeks ago after the 9yo pulled on it (it was in the porch).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 1:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• yes i do! My husbands friends son had a T.V. fall on him and he died.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• We secured the doors and cabinnetts and toilet seets. We tied up the cords and would nd up and taped the electricakl cords and put the plugs in the socekets,.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• I secured cabinets and plugs.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 2:05 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• No. I should.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Besides the usual plug covers & cabinet locks, we secured our book case and a dresser in her room. It's amazing that we all survived our childhoods when they didn't have all this stuff! :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Yes. And not anymore at age six. We still have electrical plugs. I still put up sharp items and we are careful about furniture placement. The dresser can't fall over. It is not actually possible for any of our furniture. His bookshelf is in his closest so it would hit the door frame. But it all used to be anchored in when he was younger. Medications are up.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Yes just basics like outlets and gates. All of our tvs are anchored on the walls & I watch my kids like a hawk ( crazy I know). Plus my girls room doesn't have furniture besides beds and a toy box. They have a walk in closet downstairs that houses dressers and the like.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:07 AM on Jan. 2, 2013