first time mom putting daughter in daycare.

i decided i want to go get a job since im always home 24/7 with my daughter. and i would very much like the money..im a single mother. anyway this will be her first time being in daycare full time and im just scared about this. she really hasn't had much contact with kids her age. (she is 20 months) and i HAVE to get a job. i know what to do and what to ask these people when i go see the daycare but i just fell so bad leaving her at a daycare with someone she wont really know at all. and im a little nervous. does anyone have any tips on how i can manage to get over my fear?

cute_08

Asked by cute_08 at 8:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ya know I am not a stay at home mom but I totally commend the ones who are. The fact that you were able to do it for 20 months is great, but I am also very pro day care. Especially these days. Day cares were once just a place to drop off your kid and there were people there to change diapers and make sure they didnt get hurt. It was more "babysitting". To help you feel better know that day cares these days in my opinion have changed quite a bit and they are more like learning centers. Many actually spend time teaching them and helping them learn and many of them require the teachers to have a certificate of some sort. Its my personal opinion that I think its an advantage for them to be in that environment and around other kids. They learn to share, play well with others, make friends and just be more social especially if they are the only child for now. It may actually be beneficial to their development. That help?
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 8:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I would take her a few times before you actually have to start on a regular basis so that she can see the environment and meet the teacher and other kids. She will adjust. I would take her before lunch or after the group gets up from nap. This may help her adjust a little easier.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Just remind yourself for the first couple of weeks that "good-byes" are so hard in the morning, but they will get better! I also agree with Scoobersmom; my DS seems to thrive a daycare. My 17 month old DS learns so much, loves going there, and has cute little friends that he gets to see.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 12, 2009