Need help with 6 year old acting out at school

my 6 yo continually acts up at school. Today he squirted his juice box on another boy's head and since he's been in trouble already this week the asst. principal said that he isn't welcome at school tomorrow (it's a field trip day/v-day party). Personally, I stand behind their decision.
Here's the issue - my son came home and mistakenly thought he had been kicked out of school for good (he's at a private school and we've warned him that this might happen if he continues to act up). So he was VERY upset when I picked him up, and although looking back I am regretting this, I let him believe that he HAD been kicked out. You see, when my husband and I try to lecture/discipline about his behavior at school he totally zones out and doesn't seem at all affected by our discipline...so I was thinking that if being kicked out might WAKE him up I'd let him believe it...anyway, now what??? How can we use this to all of our benefits?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i'm in the same situation you are with my 5 year old but at least yours is just spilling juice on someone (not saying its ok) but mine is choking people he was sent home yesterday because of fighting with a little boy, they were just going to let him cool off and then go back to class but he was laughing at the principle when she was explaining to him that fighting is not acceptable so they sent him home, we have a meeting with the behavioral specialist at his school very soon because we are out of ideas on what to do. I do feel your pain though and believe me i know what you mean by discipline don't work, try putting him in time out with no toys nothing and see if that helps it worked with mine for a little while. wish i had better answers for you.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 8:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Yikes. Luckily we haven't had an issue with violent behavior (yet!). My son is always "sorry" and usually takes his punishment without a fight, but you can tell he just zones out and does whatever he has to to shut us (or his teachers) up and then just acts up again later....I just don't know what else to do. I feel like we've tried every punishment, positive reinforcement, ignoring...everything. the thought of being kicked out of school seems to have at least shaken him a little, but I'm just afraid that things will go back to the usual on Monday... I'm starting to want to take him out of the school just because I'm embarrased and dread picking him up each day because I'm afraid to hear that he acted up again!! I'm so sick of this................
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• If your son thinks this is all a joke (which I find surprising at age 6!) Maybe try taking it one step further, and SHOW him what a detention center type school looks like!

I am a substitute teacher at a public school facility for children--ages 8-21, that have been expelled from their home school districts for a variety of reasons--mostly stemming from behavior issues, but some of developmental.

Perhaps you have an equivalent type program near you that you could schedule a tour of? Your son doesn't need to know WHY those children attend such a school, but maybe seeing police officers at the front door, and what the kids look like that go there will impress upon him, that if he continues to act out at school, he might end up attending this program!

It's kind of like "scared straight" approach!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2009