If ur child doesn't talk properly at age 3 is something wrong

Asked by Dee25072305 at 7:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When in doubt, take your child to a speech pathologist for an evaluation. If they determine he needs their services they will let you know. It could have to do w/ his hearing (so maybe an appt. w/ an ENT) and it could be some other developmental delays. To find out & put your mind at ease, make an appt. GL

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Thank you and I will do

Comment by Dee25072305 (original poster) at 7:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• It depends on what you mean by properly. Can others understand him? Mixing up pronouns (he, she, hims, etc) is normal as are more difficult pronunciations (letters like r, l, etc and letter blends like th take more time to develop. But if you call your school system they will do a free speech eval on him and be able to tell you if he's on track and if he's not then direct you to services.

Answer by missanc at 7:55 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• What do you mean? My kids didn't talk absolutely correct until around age 6 or 7. They had trouble with R's and other combinations. They were tested in school, but I was told they would outgrow it and they did.

Answer by mompam at 10:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• i agree more specifics would be helpful in understanding what you mean?

Answer by futurebabykar at 10:52 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• get referral from ped dc to a speech therapist
    do not wait for school to do eval, it will not be as in depth

speech delay can be many diff things

communication delay can mean spectrum- autism is not just speech delay...does child makes needs known in other forms of communication

Answer by fiatpax at 11:18 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Are you multilingual in your house?
    At the age of 3 my son was hearing 3 languages in the house - french, arabic and english. He was having a hard time saying things like "bah-neh-ha" for banana and "fre-tty" for pretty.. among other things. So I took him to the pediatrician and was told that because there are several languages he is hearing, the child is having to "switch gears" for the languages, that if by 5 when he goes to pre-school and he still has that problem then have him evaluated. Needless to say, we left that overseas posting and he has NEVER had a problem since.
    Check with your pediatrician...

Answer by madmueller at 12:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• my youngest son did not talk until age 3. He had 2 older brothers who would do the talking for him so he had no need to talk. We sent him to a preschool that worked with kids that had problems with speech. In no time he was talking he was and is normal in everyway he is now 27.

Answer by grannyskids671 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• no some kids just take a little longer then others.

Answer by m.gaynor at 10:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2013

• I believe 3 year olds should be able to use short sentences. If your 3 year old isn't, I would get him/her into speech therapy.

Answer by Diamond2010 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2013