How do you quit smoking without being mad at the world?!

My dad and I decided we wanted to quit together starting today, and im already mad at the world! Ive been taking it out on my son and our new puppy sadly. I dont understand how people do this without strangling someone! Suggestions PLEASE!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2013 in Health

• I used he patch
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• I too am quitting with the New Year, well, I started on Christmas as a present to my familia.... And I completly understand feeling like you want to strangle everyone in your path and turning bitchy. LOL.
    I am going cold turkey, and it has been rough, I'll be doing fine and of course the urge to smoke hits, and I just take a deep breath, think of all the reasons I want to quit, and find something else to do!
    My house is cleaner than ever because I start cleaning.
    I will admit, I smoked a cigarette on New Year's because it was easier to light our fireworks, and it was the stinkiest, nastiest thing ever.
    And look at all the money you'll be saving. I smoked a pack every 2 days, (used to smoke a pack a day) and pay $5.30 a pack (marlboro reds) at the end of the year I'll have saved my family $1003. I figured this out last night while craving a cigarette, and that number in itself was enough for me to not want to buy more.
    2monstersmommy

Answer by 2monstersmommy at 10:31 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• honestly, you just do it. you have to just suck it up and be strong, and know that the irritability and other negative side effects of quitting won't last forever. you will have lots of different symptoms, you may even experience a little bit of depression & anxiety in a few weeks due to quitting. but, it goes away, and within about 1.5-2 months of quitting, you are back to normal but healthier and stronger than before, and you won't even miss smoking at all.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• My husband did it on a 3 day weekend...
    He told me to get him the following - chrunching things - peppermints, carrots, celery - toothpicks, apples - and coke to drink
    He proceeded to lay on the couch in a fetal position the entire weekend like a man getting off crack, and by tuesday when he went back to work he was CIGARETTE FREE! Literally he never went back! 17 Years of freedom!
    A BIG help was clean EVERYTHING - get rid of reminders of what you did with those cigaretts - all the linens, clothes -EVERYTHING! Because when you finally do have that day when you can smell again You will notice everything! My husband LOVED perfume when he smoked - when he quit - he smelled smells he had never smelled EVER and he HATED the smell of my body soaps, perfume, hair spray, candles, air freshner - EVERYTHING! But I didn't mind
    I wish you much luck and fight the big fight because your freedom is so close!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 11:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• My husband and mom both quite using Zyban. They could still smoke for a week after taking it and once they quit the zyban made it so the cigs tasted bad. It has been 11 years for my husband and he has tried a cig two times since he quit and both times he took one puff and threw it out because it was so nasty tasting. Plus the Zyban is a antidepressant, so it helped with a lot of the depression of quitting.

Good luck... No matter how you do it, you are strong. ♥
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• V2 ecig for me and DH lol. I tried other ways,but between my migraines (which are lessened by smoking, but were never really helped by prescriptions), anxiety issues, and bipolar crap and DH's anxiety, it never worked out, so we got the V2's after trying a bunch of the crappy ones from gas stations, Walmart, etc. over the years. I've been smoke free a little over 2 weeks, DH is almost at 2 weeks, and neither of us wants to touch real cigs again. I think my friend is quitting again cold turkey and she's miserable, but said she just keeps thinking of why she wanted to quit in the first place every time she wants to smoke.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2013