Coconut Oil

Has anyone used coconut oil? And what did you use it for? I am doing some research to see about it for weight loss.

lifeasinoit

Asked by lifeasinoit at 8:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I have used it to stop nose bleeds and as a personal lubricant/ massage oil (not to be graphic) it's great if you are allergic to a lot of moisturizers. How is it used for weight loss? I think it tastes awful, like oil should haha and nothing like coconut. As far as cost, I get it from the health food store a decent size jar (regular pbutter jar size) for about $4.
    kla3288

Answer by kla3288 at 12:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i have never heard of it. i have heard of fish oil though for weight loss.
    Anonymous

• The only thing I use it for is my hair. I warm it in the microwave and put it on my dry hair for 30 minutes as a hair treatment prior to washing.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I took a class for making soap and they used coconut oil in the lye soap. But I have recently seen coconut oil used for losing weight. I googled it and it looks like something that might help in the diet. But wanted to hear from any one that has used it successfully. It can be a bit expensive.

I am using apple cider vinegar successfully so far. But thot coconut oil might be an interesting alternative.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:48 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I've only heard of coconut oil being used for healthy skin and hair.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 12:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Heeeey girl!! I think I will go to the herb store tom. and see. I hear that the quality of the one that Walmart sells isn't as good.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Mountain Rose Herb carries a food grade virgin oil brand. I love it!!! I eat it on whole wheat bread and also bananas. My daughter puts it in fruit smoothies, though it doesn't blend well. We both use it on our faces and hair--though I prefer olive oil for the hair. You have to buy food grade, virgin oil to eat. Don't try to eat commercial grade massage oil:-) I learned about it at greensmoothiegirl.com. Though it is a bit pricey, it lasts a long time. You aren't supposed to eat more than a tablespoon a day:-)

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2009