3 year old still sick i have tried everything....

he has such a cough he ends up gaging then throwing up. he has a temp highest 100.9 lowest 100.8 he feels like an oven, he keeps saying his nose hurts he has a semi runny nose and hes just really groggy. he slept for about 2 hours and woke up crying. i have tried a steam shower and i gave him a cool bath gave him tynol vapor rub i tried a cool face cloth but he didnt like that. im at a loss what to do. i called his doc and they said warm milk with honey tried that he didnt like that. im lost.

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 8:40 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Put some honey in a cup and add a little lemon and blend until it is a nice texture. Try giving him this about a half teaspoon at at time, this will help with the cough. The fever isn't very high. Fevers are the body's way of getting rid of germs. So unless the fever gets dangerously high, they say to let it run. See if he'd take some warm broth. Ginger ale is something I like when I don't feel well. I hope he feels better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 8:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• he might have a like nose cold. I though i was just sick but i ended u getting prescribed sudafed b/c i have a headache that is also in the face, stuffy nose/runny nose/cough. For a fever ur supposed to give him like whatever fever meds he can take. My 1yr old was only able to get the childrens motrin b/c she was about 24lbs and was allowed only that. I just took tylenol b/c I had a fever last night of 101.00 and I'm pregnant and went on for only 5hrs or so and went away. I put a cold rag on the back of my neck and one on my chest or wherever
    Anonymous

• i just worry last time he was this sick he was 1 1/2 and he had a seizor (sp ) i know it was due to the fever so im afraid his 100.9 will just jump. and he just said now his ear hurts. guess im calling the doc tomorrow. and i just started my babysitting job. ( still doing it tomorrow ) but i know im gonna be tired.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:55 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• The doc said warm milk and honey? Usually, a temp of over 100.5 gets treated with tylenol and/or motrin to bring it down; lukewarm (tepid) sponge baths and fluids to keep hydrated. The discomfort should ease and the fever should go down with medication. Milk thickens mucus and it sounds like he has enough that he's gagging on it. Perhaps something to break up the mucus would help. If he has aches or chills, doesn't want to eat, seems exhausted and this came on pretty quick, sounds more like the flu. I would take him to urgent care if the doctor can't seem him and he doesn't get better overnight with the fever reducer.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• yeah she said milk and honey and i told her he seemed to be gaging when he coughs and throws up. i tried it but he took one sip and said uky. i tried tylenol dosent seem to work he had some at 6:15pm.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• At that temp it's better to let the body use the fever to fight to fight the virus. I am really surprised one person said over 100.5 needs motrin or tylenol...I definitely disagree. Fevers are your bodies natural defense. Also he is 3 years old, so we are not talking about a newborn here.

102 then yes give meds and call the doctor. Right now though it sounds like he probably has a virus/cold etc..and you just need to try to find what keeps him comfortable and rested. Give lots of fluids, maybe warm soup would also make him feel better. Really though most of the time it just needs to run it's course....there is no magic the doctor can do unless there is a true infection that requires meds. Even without an infection some children naturally get high fevers.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_832.html Cut and paste. Here gives you good info about fevers.
    Anonymous

• Build his immune system like I did for my 3 little ones.

my kids were always sick - this year they are less sick. I give them 1 oz of bb - a whole food liquid organic supplement. Endorced by over 6000 doctors - I haven't had to give them breathing treatments in 9 + months and my middle son suffered from chronic diahrea since he was 1 1/2 and he has gained 2 lbs in 3 mon. and is 95% better.

my web-site www.Healthy4body.com I give them 1 oz a day. there is also a live doctors call every thursday night - I can give you that information as well just pm me.

I also had 15 years of abnormal paps - I just got a normal one. I have been taking 4 oz for 11 mo.

Sandy
    nma928

Answer by nma928 at 1:01 AM on Feb. 21, 2009