I NEED INFO ON SSI ??? I LOST MY TOE !

OK WELL A FEW WEEKS AGO I LOST MY BIG TOE YES IT HAD A BAD ULCER AND VERY INFECTED SO THEY TOOK IT OFF WELL THE DOC HAS NOT TOLD ME MUCH I HAVE BEEN A CASHIER MOST OF MY WORKING TIME I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN DO THAT ANYMORE WITH MY BIG TOE GONE HOW WILL I COPE OR WORK RIGHT AGAIN ? SO SHOULD I GET ON SSI OR WHAT DO I DO ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Health

• Try to find another occupation that you can do while you are missing that toe.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Sure you could. Why couldn't you? It's not as if he took off your leg or something.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:55 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You should be able to walk again after your foot heals, I think you'd be able to continue working.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 9:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You'll be fine. My friend lost her toe as a child, while riding her bike with sandals on. (Yup, she lost it in the tire spokes . . . OUCH!) And she makes it around just fine, in fact, she is a mother of two and a Special Ed. teacher.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My pharmacist lost his big toe a couple of years ago and he is on his feet a LOT. After recovery and some therapy he was back to work like it never happened. You should be able to do the same, just give yourself some time.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that unless there is some other underlying medical problem you will still be able to stand and walk. And even at first if you can't stand for a full shift, ask your manager to provide a stool for you to sit on while you finish healing.

I'm sorry, but a missing toe isn't really that much of a disability.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Sorry, I don't think they will approve it. I think there has to be no way you could every possible work again and your doctor has to agree with that and then they send you to a doctor and they have to agree that you can't work. Have you applied for temporary disabilty while you recover?
    Anonymous

• Nice try, but you'll be able to work. Losing a toe is not going to get you SSI, and I personally don't think that it should.
    Anonymous

• WELL I WAS BORN WITH A BIRTH DEFECT THAT I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY BACK AND LEGS SO WE ARE NOT SURE HOW I WILL BE ABLE TO WALK RIGHT ETC.... TO SOME OF THE PEOPLE ON HER TO BASH ME IS WRONG A BIG TOE HELPS WITH BALANCE DO YOU ALL HAVE ALL YOUR TOES SO HOW WOULD YOU KNOW THEN ????????? SO WITH MY BIRTH DEFECT PAST I'M SURE I WILL GET IT I JUST WANTED INFO ON IT FROM PEOPLE WHO MIGHT BE ON IT ?????
    Anonymous

• Are you serious? My FIL is in his 70's and only has like 4 or 5 toes (total). He lost them from diabetes and can still do a LOT - even drive!!!
    Anonymous