Do your kids go outside for recess at school when it's under 34 degrees outside?

I'm wondering if my Son has recess outside today. It's about 30 degrees. I remember in Preschool they would go out if it was above 34 degrees but I'm not sure about kindergarten. How about at your kids schools? We're in NY. Hope he zips his coat!

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 1:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Yep. The cutoff here is 10 degrees
    It's Wisconsin. If they didn't go out when it was below 34,they'd never go out all winter

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• It's never under 34 during the day and if it ever was the school would probably close, lol.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• i am with butterfly
    we are in wisconsin
    34 degree day is called Spring
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• No. I live in NC and I think the cutoff is 40. Now in 6th and 7th grade they don't go outside for PE unless its above 60! (Of course that's because they require PE uniforms consisting of school shorts and tees)

Answer by missanc at 1:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• It's never that cold during the day. If it was, I am sure they would keep the kids inside.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• I think the cut off here is 40.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• No but, I'm in TX & they get paranoid when it gets below 50.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• My kids always went out even if it was an quick walk together in the fresh air.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• As long as it is above 30 and no precipitation (including snow) then they go out for recess. Call your school and find out their policy. My kids are supposed to have boots, coats, hats, and gloves that they can put on with minimal assisstance and if they are to leave the bus parking lot for recess they must have snow pants too. The bus parking lot is empty during school hours and right beside the playground so only those who have snow pants are allowed on the playground the others have to play on the plowed parking lot.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• The cut off is I believe 10-15 degrees without any windshield factors
    The parents are told this at the first of the yr and that they should make sure
    that their children are prepared for the weather.
    The only time they do not go out is if 's under the temps above or the windshield makes it colder
    or raining or extremely high temps (about 90+) due to hydration issues... and that is also grade
    limited, younger children usually will not go out during the high heat, but the older kids don't seem to
    mind and they can carry water with them out...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2013