stop breastfeeding

my son is 11 months now and for the past 3 days he hasnt drunk any breast milk, everytime i try he just doesnt want it. now i dont feel rejected in any way cause i understand that some babies just ween themselves off. but my breast are so full of milk now that its starting to hurt. i dont want to keep pumping it if he isnt going to drink it so is there any way that i can relieve the pain. and how long does it take before the milk starts to dry up and i stop feeling so sore.. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just let mine be and took tylenol for the the pain. It hurt for a few days and I don't think I have quite dried up--been 2 1/2 weeks. It isn't completely unbearable, but to get them to stop producing you have to quit nursing. I hope that I have helped. Oh, by the way, use ice packs and not heat.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Your doc can prescribe something if you hurt really bad and want to dry up quickly. I didn't take it, but my aunt swore by it. It's not for the pain, but to help dry you up. My grandmother told me to use cabbage leaves. Again, I didn't do it either.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• It is very possibly a nursing strike. By next week babe may want to nurse again. Drugs are not the way to go to dry up. Keep pumping, and drop a session every 2-3 days. You reeely don't want a mastis. Good luck
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• ITA with colleen. self weaning isn't normal at this age. nursing strikes are. just keep offering. he'll come around. but if he doesn't, keep pumping & slowly cut out sessions (for your boobs' sake)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I agree with colleen and jess. Keep trying. Reduce the amount of times you pump each day. And if he does decide he's done with breast milk, cabbage leaves and tight sports bras.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 10:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2009