What the??????

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/02/doh-caterpillar.html

President Obama today repeated at the press briefing that Jim Owens, the CEO of Caterpillar, Inc., "said that if Congress passes our plan, this company will be able to rehire some of the folks who were just laid off."
However.........

But after the president left the event, Owens said the exact opposite.

Asked if the stimulus package would be able to stop the 22,000 layoffs or not, Owens said, "I think realistically no. The truth is we're going to have more layoffs before we start hiring again"

So, is Obama speaking the Truth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Obama always speaks the truth:) I think he is going to be one of the best presidents ever.
    Anonymous

• Not if his lips are a flappin'
    Anonymous

• LOL... Obama caught in another lie. I am sure he will spin this somehow... How pathetic to campaign this stimulus with broken promises and lies.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Obama has no idea what he is doing. He has ZERO experience in anything for any real length of time! So I am sure he believes everything he is saying but he doesn't understand a dang thing except what he is told.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• YES I TRUST OBAMA MORE THAN ANY OTHER PREZ BEFORE EVERYONE SHOULD RELAX AND GIVE THIS GREAT MAN TIME TO HEAL THIS MESSED UP COUNTRY !!!!!
    Anonymous

• Momof30404 maybe you should've ran for president. I bet you could have done a better job:)
    Anonymous

• First of all, Obama didn't say that the passing of the stimulus deal would "stop the layoffs", those have already taken place, what he did say was that once this deal was approved, that Caterpillar would be able to hire back some of the 22 thousand people it had laid off. He didn't give a time frame.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 9:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• So now you're holding Obama responsible for the words of another person, after Obama has left?
    how can someone else's words be Obama's lie?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:23 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I'm sorry, I'm laughing. As soon as I saw he was going there I knew he was in trouble. Caterpillar vs the UAW is the LONGEST running feud in the history of American unionization. He stepped in a big hornets nest and he has absolutely know friggin clue what he just got involved in. I've watched 30 years of this fight and it's not going to stop just because Obama Claus came to town.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:25 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• He said...if my plan passes you can hire people back. Do you think he was trying to say not until 2 or 3 years from now? NO, he was implying pass my bill and they will be back at work now, don't pass my bill and all is lost. THAT is what he is out there trying to convince everyone.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:25 PM on Feb. 12, 2009