how often do your kids do or say things that are hurtful?

lately it seems like every time dd opens her mouth its to say something mean..she told me the other day that i was ugly and she hoped she didnt look like me when she was older, then today I was upset with dh and she writes this letter to her teacher saying that i was mad and she didnt know why...im all for her expressing herself but her methods are way outta line...am i the only idiot parent who has a kid that does this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow! I'm sorry. My child hasn't said anything that horrible to me yet, he's 8, but I know I said some pretty cruel things to my parents.
    She will feel bad about it someday! Stay strong:)
    Anonymous

• yesterday my little brother asked my mom if she wants
    a butt full of fooot.
    (think about it....)
    i thought it was hilarious.
    kids say the darndest things.
    use some mommy guilt and tell her how bad it makes
    you feel every time she says something hurtful.
    Teach her sensitivity. If she hurts your feelings,
    she probably hurts other peoples feelings. Just
    make her feel really guilty and ask her if anyone
    talks to her like that and how it would make her
    feel if people called her ugly.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 9:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Check my profile ...I have a whole slew of kids!! LOL....Alot of kids do that, it seems that girls do it more often and mostly to their mothers! I think they are just trying to seperate themselves from us, by rebeling against us in every way they can think of! I can remember when I was a kid I thought my mom was so dumb for buying Tide....I don't remember why I thought this...but I do remember telling my mom I'd never buy Tide when I grew up, she was stupid for buying it...Well now all these years later I buy Tide!! Mom wasn't so stupid after all......Try not to take it personally, although it may feel personal...it's really about her not you. Hang in there you have the wonderful teenage years ahead of you!!!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• When my daughter gets mad at me she tells me she hates me, I tell her that I love her and whenshe decides she loves me again she can come talk to me, until then I ignore her. It usually last about 10 minutes.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:28 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Well some of this is just to manipulate her but this needs to stop. You can allow her to express herself and whats on her mind without being disrespectful. Its not likely she really feels this way but more shes trying to anger you. I remember feeling that way towards my mother for no apparent reason and I can tell that my teenager feels that way about me but if she ever said that to me, I would wash her mouth out with soap. I do not tolerate disrespect in any form. I tell my kids that if you have something to say, then come to me and say it quietly and express your feelings. No matter what it is, but I won't let them mouth off. Theres a way to channel this anger she has without letting her hurt you. Don't say its the age because disrespect is not okay at any age. You are the mom and you deserve honor for your position.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:26 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I am going to be perfectly honest with you. My children do not talk to me like that. They wouldn't do it. They probably think that I will slap them or something.

They do talk like that to each other, mostly my 3 and 6 year old. When that occurs, we talk about respect.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I have a 13 yr old with serious emotionall issues. I am a f'ing anything you want to put after the word, whore, b**ch, slut, I have been told I belong on a street corner and he even tells me to "put the fork down and get away from the food you fat b**ch!! I am sooo tired of it but even with therapy he won't stop. It hurts, yes it hurts like hell, but what he doesn't know is that there is a special program he can go to where he can get specialized 1 on 1 help and I am working at getting him into one. I have already tried therapy, partial hospitalizations, family based counselors who tell me not to yell at all!! Just stay calm mom and ignore it!! HUH? If all goes well, mabye he will be out by the end of March and I will find some peace. My 10 yr old is in a special program too (both boys are crime victims) and he is finally doing much better. He should be home by the end of the summer. Good luck, I will pray for you!.
    Dianne1259

Answer by Dianne1259 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2009