All of our fish keep dying!

In October of 2010, I bought my son two gold fish, Jack and Sally. A couple of weeks ago, Sally had an awful encounter with a five year old and a book and died. Well I've bought three new fish now to be with Jack and within hours they've all died. Two came from Walmart and one from Petsmart. I asked the lady at Walmart last night about the other two and she said to put the bag in the bowl for at least two hours to make sure it's adjusting to the water temperature cause they could be going in to shock of water. We kept it in there overnight and I put him in the bowl this morning. When I got back up from bed not even an hour later, the new one was dead! Any suggestions? I put this water conditioner in when I got one from Petsmart cause she said it could be that the tap water was too hard for the new fish. That fish died within hours too.

SaraD1989

Asked by SaraD1989 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2013 in Pets

• Are you washing the bowl out with soap & water? Don't. Buy Beta Fish they last longer. I'll bump you, hope you find an answer.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• You need to put the additive in for 24 hours before the fish go in, also IDK where you live but fish are very sensitive to temp. change, even walking from the store to the car if it is cold could be enough to harm it, I think you might want to try 1 beta fish, they are a bit more hardy, and you can buy them in the bowl, and then wait for the additive to work.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 2:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• She never said wait for the stuff to go it. She said just put it in there when I put the new fish in and she put some in the bowl too. We don't use soap. Just change the water and rinse the bowl and all the stones in there. Jack is still very much alive. Could it be that maybe he has something that him and Sally were used to but the new fish aren't? I made sure the temp was the same when I put this last fish in.
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Upsets me because my son doesn't understand why they keep dying.
    SaraD1989

• Are you adding the new fish into the water already in there,or completely redoing the water?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• There are plenty of books on keeping fish and specifically goldfish.
    You should have 1 gallon of water for every inch of fish. If you do not then they do not have enough room to move ad brethe and grow.

Two days before adding water or using water in a new tank fill buckets with tepid water splashing as much as you can. This helps to remove the chlorine. Let it sit to remove as much as you can.Take the fish out with at least a gallon of water and set him in a safe place.
    Wash th tank out and rinse the gravel with cool water, NOT HOT! After washing be sure the tank has been thoroughly rinsed and dried.
    Put the gravel and the water in the tank and turn on the filters and the heater (thouh goldfish do not require a hater so this is optional)
    Let the water settle a bit and the put Jack into the tank along with his water. Leave him be for at least a few days.
    Continued
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Jack is alive, but is he healthy? He might have something going on that, though he's surviving, it's killing the new fish. Maybe buy a smaller bowl and put the new fish in that for a while. If they survive in it, then maybe change out the water in Jack's tank before adding the new fish. Then, if the fish still dies once it's in with Jack, I'd say it's Jack. Either he's got a disease that you're not noticing any symptoms of (I can't remember names right off, but I'm pretty sure there's at least 2 fish diseases that don't have a lot of visible symptoms), or he's been watching too much Single White Female and is killing his tankmates. ;)
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Now go to a reputable store pet smart or a store that specializes in fish (price will be about the same either way and you get better fish and advice) Do not buy to many fish. Keep the fish warm in an insulated cooler from the store to your home. Float the bag in the tank for 1 hour. Open the bag and put a small amount of water into the bage close the bag back up making sure there is plenty of air in the bag. After one more hour gently open the bag and release the fish. Allow them to swim out of the bag.

They should be just fine. Do not feed for 12 hours
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Stop buying fish. Best decision I ever made lol
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• I HATE goldfish. We kill them like nobody's business in this house no matter WHAT I do. Best thing I ever did was skip the goldfish and bought a beta. It has been alive for over 6 months and survived a move! I suggest you empty the bowl and refill- no additives let is set for 24 hours ( this will de-chlorinate by evaporation MUCH easier) After 24 hours head to a pet shop with a little water sample in a zip lock bag. They will test it and give you the okay to add a fish to the water. Pick a pretty little beta and voila!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2013