What should I do?

My son is 19months old and is starting in the terrible 2's he will throw the biggests fits when I tell him no it doesn't matter if we are at home or out in public. What should I do when he does this?

Mrs.Jolly

Asked by Mrs.Jolly at 9:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i'd let him throw a fit. some people will know exactly what you're going through, and others will give nasty looks. i know it can be embarrassing, but if you take him somewhere else, or leave the place completely - he's getting his way. he's only 19 months old so i think the previous poster's answer would work great when he gets a little older.
    Anonymous

• time out. Put them some place constant (I use the steps) and set him there for 1 1/2 minutes. BUT if he is still crying when time is up go over and explain that he can not get up until he calms down.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:30 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Yea I do that to at home but when we are out in public what should I do?
    Mrs.Jolly

Answer by Mrs.Jolly at 9:32 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Distract him an hold him tight, it actually worked for me, but girls maybe diff. Consoling as if he were still tiny. I tried to make it fun asap. Good Luck
    Anonymous

• At home walk away. When he is out, pick him up and take him to a private place- your car or someplace where he won't disturb other people, and turn away and wait it out. Then explain that his behavior was not acceptable. "You did not behave well." Then finish what you had planned to do if you can, omititng any treat for him, since you don't have time any more because his unacceptable behavior took up too much time.

Answer by Bmat at 9:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2009