Have you ever heard of this? Thoughts?

The post on dark comets reminded me of this. I just saw a show on the History Channel about this event, pretty crazy.

The Tunguska Event, or Tunguska explosion, was a powerful explosion that occurred near the Podkamennaya (Lower Stony) Tunguska River in what is now Krasnoyarsk Krai of Russia, at around 7:14 a.m.[1] (0:14 UT, 7:02 a.m. local solar time[2]) on June 30, 1908 (June 17 in the Julian calendar, in use locally at the time).[2]

Although the cause is the subject of some debate, the explosion was most likely to have been caused by the air burst of a large meteoroid or comet fragment at an altitude of 5–10 kilometres (3–6 miles) above Earth's surface. Different studies have yielded varying estimates for the object's size, with general agreement that it was a few tens of metres across.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

Friday

Asked by Friday at 9:27 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Strange things happen in this world! You just never know, but why worry about it lol! There's nothing we can do but live our lives like each day could be the last which is what we should do anyway =) That was my post on the dark comets lol! Gotta love fox news!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Weird. I thought a meteroid that big created holes like the Grand Canyon. Even the tiniest fragments create huge craters.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 5:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Well, that certainly doesn't bode well for the satellite crash.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Five, don't argue with me. Actually, the satellite crash is real trouble for anything else in orbit but not so much for the Earth. I think the pieces were really small.
    However, I was apparently high on something during my last post. It seems basketball size meteors make it into the atmosphere every year, so a few tens of meters is not that outrageous.
    But, yes, that event was pretty cool. I was looking up Fireballs and bolides, which I guess is how that would have been classified, since they tend to explode when they hit the atmosphere instead of the Earth.
    Who is worried? Space is cool.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 7:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Oh, I am totally arguing with you lady. I don't get how if they are so tiny that they can do damage to other satellites?
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 7:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Lady!?! Oh, those are fighting words.
    Actually, it's because the tiny fragments are hauling ass and so are the other satellites. I'd like to now tell you exactly how fast objects in orbit travel, but I don't research stuff. I'm mostly making all of this up. Shhh.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 4:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2009