Summer Camp Help

Hi Everyone -

I stopped procrastinating and sorted out all of my kids summer plans today. I found this summer camp advisory service called ChoiceCamps.com and after about an hour on the phone with them and then a subsequent two hours on the phone with the camp director I think we're all set. Almost.

My oldest is excited about heading off to camp but Anna (11 yrs old) had a prolonged tantrum today at the prospect of leaving. She has always been attached to my hip and I was hoping that 2 wks away would help her develop some independence.

I think when she calms down tomorrow I'll try to get her to watch the camp dvd. If anyone has any ideas on how I can jazz her up on the idea of sleepaway camp that would be helpful.

Thanks!

G.

gailburges

Asked by gailburges at 9:30 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Perhaps a day camp would be a better idea.
    I agree about watching the DVD, they are made to show camp as a place that the child would enjoy being. Don't seem anxious about it. Treat it as just part of life. Don't say if you'll go, say when you go. Mention camp fun that you had, if you went. But don't make it seem as though you are pushing the idea or worried about her reaction. Behave as though you have no doubt at all that she'll love it. Something that you can play up is that there is always stuff to do and other kids to do it with.

Answer by Bmat at 10:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I agree, start off slow if she has cling issues. Or can she just go for a week? My DD had a fit when she went...we sent her to "first timers" an over nighter and she wound up loving it and now has a cow if she can't go the full two weeks. I think two weeks to start out is unrealistic. Now my girls cry when they have to leave friends and come home. Baby steps Mama!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:54 AM on Feb. 13, 2009