Hypothyroidism-what if I don't take my levothyroxine?

I was told three months ago I'm borderline hypothyroidism. They give me levothyroxine to take, 75mcg I think. I don't want to take this the rest of my life. It isn't helping me at all with my weight gain and the knot in my neck is still there so I see it Kind of pointless.

I also heard that takin this medicine for a long time causes breast cancer. CANCER is my biggest fear so I don't want to take it at all.

So my main question is, if I don't take the medicine will it put my life at risk? Or will I be okay an just get fat? I actually go to another dr in a few weeks for a second opinion but until then...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2013 in Health

• You will be okay and you won't get fat. I know three people who have been on it for twenty years or more. Not fat and no cancer. In fact, one had throat cancer and is taking it. Take it, you need it. In three months reassess.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• My ex has hypothyroid and takes synthroid (brand name levothyroxine - can't use the generic). He has been on it for at least 15 years. When they first prescribed it, he didn't notice a difference but after he had been on it a while and then tried to wean himself off he noticed a HUGE change in how he felt. The meds made him feel so much better and alleviated a lot of the symptoms he had thought were just part of aging.
    If you don't take the meds it can cause other serious complications, chiefly heart problems.

Answer by missanc at 4:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Diabetics don't really want to take isulin either. It is a choice as to living as good a life as you can or in dealing with all the complications and early death.
    I have been on synthroid for 20+ years and want to hear my sad song because I was not diagnosed earlier in my life.

Choose but don't cry about your choice.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• I don't want to take my Synthroid, especially since I have to alternate between 125 mcg and 112 mcg and it's confusing as hell. But guess what? I went off it thinking I know more than my doc and I ended up in the ER after almost three months. Rapid heart rate and palpitations, skin peeling it was so dry, hair falling out, trouble breathing. My TSH was in the 60's somewhere.

Sure, I still struggle with my weight, and if I'm not good about taking it, I feel the symptoms a lot more. However, it's better than the alternative. I've been doing this for 15 years now, and I'll never go without taking mine again. My doctor was so angry with me when I stopped. She's diabetic and hypothyroid and she scolded me severely about taking my meds properly.

Also, just fyi... thyroid problems can cause miscarriage or infertility, among many other problems.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2013