Question about thawing a turkey

It's 20-some lbs. It won't fit in my fridge no matter what I do. My sink isn't deep enough to do a cold water thaw. I don't have a cooler big enough for it either. I do, however, have a front porch (enclosed) that hovers around 32 degrees right now - it's colder outside but the porch gets a little heat from inside, but not enough to warm it any higher. Would it be safe to put the turkey there to thaw?

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 4:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2013 in Food & Drink

• 32 is freezing. If it stayed constantly at that temperature it would not thaw. The kicker is that the temp will not stay constant and the turkey will thatw a bit and then freeze and then thatw andfreeze. It will be unsafe to eat. The only really safe way to thaw it is in the fridge for 4 days. You could take it back where you got it and cut it in half and freeze half and thaw half (or a quarter).
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• I guess as long as you were keeping a close eye on the temp it makes sense...

The bathtub is another option!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Bathtub really isn't an option lol - we only have 1 bathroom and 6 people so somebody's always in there plus the drain's on the fritz :S
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• I would take out a shelf in the fridge so it can go in there.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Ginger, I can't move my fridge shelves without busting them. Thus the reason I can't do it in there. It's a p.o.s. fridge that came with our house but hey, it works so we use it! Dard - if I could us a space heater to keep it at roughly 40 degrees, 38, something like that, would it work?
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• watch out for the wild critters out there! squirrels, mice, cats, dogs - they will all have a feeding frenzy on your "open game"
    just leave it in the kitchen on the counter..
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• No wild critters - it's a closed porch, and sealed - we've had mice come in in the past but took care of it. 100% positive nothing would get to it. No way in he** I'd leave a turkey on the counter to thaw, THAT's a recipe for disaster!
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2013