how old should a child be befour giving them ice cream

a friend has a four month old and told me when my son is older i should give him ice cream at three months

lovingmother200

Asked by lovingmother200 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• whenever you feel is right but only a few bites at a time.. my son was around that age.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My husband gave my daughter a tiny bit of ice cream (vanilla) on the tip of a spoon when she was a week old. It didn't hurt her.
    Anonymous

• Like 12 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Anything other than breast milk or formula isnt recomended. Cereal can be giving between 4 and 6 months, and baby food at 6 months. But your not supposed to do anything else. Research has shown that introducing foods sooner results to more food alergies....
    Anonymous

• your friend is an idiot. NOTHING but breastmilk for AT LEAST 6 months (not 4-6). no juice for AT LEAST 9 months. no dairy til AT LEAST 12 months. no junk food for AT LEAST 2 years. this can all hurt way more than just allergies.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't give an entire ice cream cone, but one taste (and I mean very very little taste) from what you're eating once in a while won't hurt. But I wouldn't let a baby that young do anything more that just a little taste. Milk is a big allergen not to mention it can upset your LO's tummy. Plus you wouldn't want a 4 month old getting full on ice cream and not drinking enough breast milk/formula that day either.

ANON at 8:12 is a little too strict for my taste. That's great if she does that for her LO but it's not for everyone and I wish people would calm down a little on how others choose to raise their children.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My son is four months old and my sister put a tiny bit on her finger and fed it to him, he is just fine but I wouldn't actually feed it to him til he is older.
    cryssi_renee

Answer by cryssi_renee at 10:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• agreed with julipickle on the 10:12 anon post. I'm sorry, but im sick of people making it sound like your a horrible mother if you start feeding your LO cereal at 4mo. I'm sorry, i wasnt able to give my LOs breastmilk - i tried, just didnt work for me. And when my 4mo olds look at my food, smack their lips and reach for what i'm eating, i think they're ready to try some spooned cereal. The fact that pediatricians tell you that you can start feeding solids at 4mo tells you something. Its not omg horrrible going to hurt the baby. Its a matter of opinion on whether or not you want to start your LOs on solids at 4mo, 6mo, or heck, i've even had someone reply to one of my questions that you shouldnt do anything but breastmilk for the first year!!! Great for you - i'm sorry some people arent supermom and can do that. I respect your opinion, i promise i do, just please, PLEASE dont make it sound like your scolding us moms that
    Anonymous

• listen to our doctors and our intuitions.

Anywho, on the ice cream note - i wouldnt give it to my LOs till they were a bit older. They are 4mo now, and i think i'd rather focus on the cereal and in a little bit some baby foods like veggies and fruits. But who knows, maybe one day in a month or so i might just give in and let them have a taste. Its up to you, mommy - just dont give him/her too much. Listen to your gut. =)
    Anonymous

• I let my son try it when he was 4 months old, and my daughter too. Now my son is 2 and he chooses broccoli over candy any day. My daughter loves sweet potatos, so i say if you want to, go for it. unless your LO is lactose intolerant, it wont hurt em!
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2009