When does a child outgrow a playpen?

mamasince2002

Asked by mamasince2002 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine slept in ours on vacation until they were 3, but they hardly ever used it as an actual playpen. I would say check the weight restrictions and gauge it on how happy your child is in it. I used to babysit a lady and she would put her 5 year old dd in the playpen with her polly pockets and other small toys to keep her 1 yo ds from getting to them. The 5 yo was much happier contained with her toys than her little brother would have been!

Answer by missanc at 6:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• When they can climb out! :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• My SA answer was until they can get out of it.

The above answer is much better.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• My son is 2 and I find a playpen contains him better then a gate LOL. He likes sitting in there playing with his toys. I guess as long as he can't get out, means he is still fine in it. Thanks ladies.
    mamasince2002

Comment by mamasince2002 (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• I used mine for vacation sleeping up until the age of 3, but at about a year the playpen for "pen" purposes was finished, he could get out of it faster than I could go to the bathroom, maybe time for a bouncy swing?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 7:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• i agree as long as hes not climbing out your good!
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 7:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• We had a pack and play and our son slept on the top part for the first maybe two weeks until he really started gaining weight..
    We used the bottom part of it for when we went on trips or lengthy visits but again, when he started getting bigger and started putting his toes in the mesh it was time to stop...I would say 2, maybe before
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 8:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Just be really careful with an older child in a playpen, because if suddenly he decides he wants out, he might seriously hurt himself if he's tall enough to throw his leg over the wall of the pen. (tipping hazard)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• When they can easily get in and out

Answer by older at 8:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2013