Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps


Okay so I am married and have been for 12 years,but I have not seen the husband in about nine years now all I know is that he lives in Florida somewhere. I had met another man and we have an eight year old daughter together, is it going to be a problem with the divorce being he is listed as the father and not the husband.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2013 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • I have no idea, but I'll give you a bump!

    Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

  • It shouldn't. Why didn't you divorce him 9 years ago?

    Answer by louise2 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

  • Yes. The person to whom you are legally married is legally the father. You will need a lawyer to sort it out for you but since the person who is the father acknowledges that he is the father that helps. There are ways to get a divorce without the other person being involved as in they have disappeared. Call your State Bar Association ask for a consult with a Family Law Attorney, it will cost 25-35 dollars for a 30 minute consult. That way you will get some reliable answers and be able to find out how much it will all cost. Good Luck to you.

    Answer by booklover545 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

  • Depends on the state where you live.

    Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

  • In some states if you at least file for divorce and it goes uncontested for 2 years, the divorce is granted whether they can locate/serve papers to the other party or not.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

  • It does depend on your state. I would consult a lawyer. Some lawyers might give you some info for free. Grab your phone book and start calling to see what family law lawyers will charge for a consult. If you ask the right questions, the legal secretary that answers the phone just may give you some info for free. Once you ask a few, you will start to figure out what to ask and how to get info. Good luck!

    Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

  • no it shouldnt be a problem, the courts understand. all you have to do is explain it on paper if you are doing a do it yourself divorce. if you are going to court, the judge will understand your situation

    Answer by lizzybee44 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

  • dont spend money on a lawyer, just go to the courthouse and do the divorce yourself. if i did it at age 19 all by myself, you can! i didnt have to spend any money on a lawyer. people offer free advice and consultations too you know

    Answer by lizzybee44 at 1:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

  • I wwill never understand why people split up and don't tidy up the mess before moving on.
    I would talk to a lawyer but I doubt that it will cause you that much problem

    Answer by Dardenella at 1:17 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
For those who are divorced

Next question overall (Health)
Jumping jacks! adult content