Divorce

Okay so I am married and have been for 12 years,but I have not seen the husband in about nine years now all I know is that he lives in Florida somewhere. I had met another man and we have an eight year old daughter together, is it going to be a problem with the divorce being he is listed as the father and not the husband.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2013 in Relationships

• I have no idea, but I'll give you a bump!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• It shouldn't. Why didn't you divorce him 9 years ago?

Answer by louise2 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Yes. The person to whom you are legally married is legally the father. You will need a lawyer to sort it out for you but since the person who is the father acknowledges that he is the father that helps. There are ways to get a divorce without the other person being involved as in they have disappeared. Call your State Bar Association ask for a consult with a Family Law Attorney, it will cost 25-35 dollars for a 30 minute consult. That way you will get some reliable answers and be able to find out how much it will all cost. Good Luck to you.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Depends on the state where you live.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• In some states if you at least file for divorce and it goes uncontested for 2 years, the divorce is granted whether they can locate/serve papers to the other party or not.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• It does depend on your state. I would consult a lawyer. Some lawyers might give you some info for free. Grab your phone book and start calling to see what family law lawyers will charge for a consult. If you ask the right questions, the legal secretary that answers the phone just may give you some info for free. Once you ask a few, you will start to figure out what to ask and how to get info. Good luck!
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• no it shouldnt be a problem, the courts understand. all you have to do is explain it on paper if you are doing a do it yourself divorce. if you are going to court, the judge will understand your situation
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• dont spend money on a lawyer, just go to the courthouse and do the divorce yourself. if i did it at age 19 all by myself, you can! i didnt have to spend any money on a lawyer. people offer free advice and consultations too you know
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 1:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I wwill never understand why people split up and don't tidy up the mess before moving on.
    I would talk to a lawyer but I doubt that it will cause you that much problem
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:17 AM on Jan. 3, 2013