Rice Cooker...rice is never right. Any rice people on here?

I have a zojirushi (sp?) cooker and there weren't clear directions but to say fill the water just slightly above the rice. Well, the layer at the bottom all sticks together but the top is good. Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong?

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 8:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I use my rice cooker a lot, and I use the same amount of rice, I add the same amount of water, plus a quarter cup more of water or lemon juice, it whitens the rice and gives it a great flavor, I also add the salt and a tablespoon of vegetable oil....

Answer by older at 10:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• the bottom part is the mama-san rice. it is correct.
    remember twice as much water as rice
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• No clue - I always steam it in the microwave in a glass bowl and always have perfect rice.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• 1 cup of rice. 2 cups of water. Put it in you rice cooker that way. That is how I do it. Comes out good every time.

Answer by louise2 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Add rice TO the water
    Maybe rinse the rice 1st before putting it in

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• If you don't want it sticky rinse the rice really good before you cook it. You'll see the starch wash away. An old Asian friend of mine once told me that when cooking rice in a rice cooker, put in 1 cup of dry rice and stick your pointer finger all the way. Fill the cooker with water up to the first line on the back of your finger. She did this and it came out perfect. I suppose this would depend of the size of the cooker, however.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Mahatma rice - has never failed me!
    2 cups of water 1 cup of rice - water boiling before putting in rice - turn it down to low and throw in the rice - 15 min. cook - done!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Okay, thanks ladies!
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• I only use Botan rice and I rinse it well before cooking. I add 1 1/2 cups rice and 2 cups water. I've never been disappointed.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• I cup of rice rinse in water for 15 min. Boil 2 cups of water with 1 tb-spoon of salt and 2 tb-spoon of oil and on boiling put rice in it. slow down the stove after few min for 10 min.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 2:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2013