Where's the loophole?

Dear Stoners across the hall,

While I DID vote to legalize marijuana in my state (WA), I do not like, nor appreciate the smell, of something dead and/or dying wafting halfway down the hall/stairwell as I enter the common areas of our apartments. In addition, the constant traffic at all hours of the day and night makes it hard to sleep, and is making my cats nervous.

I'm all for freedom to do whatever, I'm NOT for forcing others to experience a contact high just trying to get to their OWN apartment.

Sincerely,
Neighbor Across The Hall

Seriously though, this is getting old fast. They moved in about two months ago and the smell that comes out of their apartment is sickening. They also have a dog that looks SUPER skinny. They say it's because they just got it from a shelter and it was horribly abused, but now I'm starting to wonder. They say the dog goes everywhere with them, but I never see it with them, and I never hear it going up/down the stairs with them either.

I don't care if they're smoking in their apartment or not, I don't live there. I DO care when it fills up the common areas and me and my kids, who DON'T partake, are forced to breathe the stuff.

I DO plan on calling the main office, or going in to talk to them, in the morning to see what the policy is. As far as *I* know there is no smoking in any of the 4 apartments that share this particular common areas. There is the outside door, a foyer for the two apartments downstairs, the inside stairwell with landing, then the small hallway that opens up to the two doors upstairs.

There's gotta be a loophole here somewhere about this crap. I literally almost threw up at the smell in the hallway tonight.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 11:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2013 in Health

• Yeah, that is not cool. Smoke away but others shouldn't have to deal with it. I saw this pot den opened in Colorado and the video footage was all these men sitting around smoking dope like they were in 8th grade again. Actually, it was kinda funny. Not one woman around. Good ol' boys club.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:20 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• You'd think the laws concerning smoking cigarettes would also apply to Marijuana. I hope you can get this resolved peacefully because this isn't fair to you.
    Hopefully the apt. Managers deal with this.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Thankfully, I don't smell it in MY apartment, just in the common areas of the hall/stairs.

then tell/ ask the pot heads to be considerate and put the damp towel under their door or else you'll contact mgmt. I have no patience for rude smokers. Pot or cigs. And I smoke :)

I have a fan that pushes the smoke out ot my apt and air scrubbers. if you cant respect others then you need a house. Yeah- I am kind of a hard ass. I have called mgmt on my neighbors.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• put a damp towel under your door to block the stink.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Does your building have rules about smoking? I would feel the same way if I was constantly smelling cigarette smoke. It would drive me nuts. Hopefully you can get it resolved with management.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• There should never be smoking inside apartments.

Leave a note that says "pot is legal. Smoke outside"
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Isn't this the epitomy of irony? The reasons you give for not liking the legalization of marijuana are the exact reasons why cigarette smoking has been outlawed across this nation! The perils of all that second-hand smoke!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:35 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• You would think but since tobacco and MJ are not the same I am not sure tey do. That would be like saying an underage person can not drink and then yelling when they atr dtinking water. The substances are different and the law applies to the one but quite possibly not the other. I am glad I do not have to worry about that for now. It certainly gives the rest of the states thinking about legalizing pot, something to think about.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I really don't care one whit what someone does behind their own doors. They can smoke until there is so much smoke in their apartment they can't see, as far as I care. Whether that's cigarettes or marijuana. I just don't want to be forced to breathe the stuff myself.

I was born 8 weeks premature because of drugs and alcohol. Those are not choices I make for me.

And as far as I can tell tobacco was, and still is legal. Just because they tax the hell out of it and make it hard to smoke outside the home doesn't male it outlawed. It's just not nearly as socially acceptable as it used to be.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2013