Co sleep to crib

My son will be 2 in June &I need advice on getting him to sleep in his crib befote i break him
off the paci

I tried tonight to cry himself to sleep but i couldnt do it after 2 mins he was scared of his crib
i tried giving him a stuffed giraffe he likes to rub ears before falling asleep but he didnt want nothing to do with it. After i took him out he went straight to my bed and layed down.

He fell asleep &i put him back in his crib and stayed asleep
What else can i do?

Salvadorena

Asked by Salvadorena at 12:36 AM on Jan. 3, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would take them one at a time. I wouldn't put him in his crib for the first time without his paci for the first time. I would either put him in the crib til he's used to it then take the paci, or take the paci then move him to the crib. My guy is 7mo and he threw his paci down the stairs and I looked EVERYWHERE for it and couldn't find it, so he has no more paci (I have an emergency one in his diaper bag) but he is still co-sleeping for now.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:58 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I would go to a toddler or twin bed. Start with it by your bed and lay with him then stop laying with him and move it to his room if he has one and lay with him if he fights it until he is comfortable with it. I coslept and that's how I did it. No problems with my girl. We never used a pacifier though.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• He had his paci but didnt seem to ease the crying at all
    i would tell him its time to lay down in your big boy bed &he went crazy lol
    I just cant do the cry it out method.
    Salvadorena

Comment by Salvadorena (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Best info on transitioning from co-sleeping to crib can be found on drjaygordon.com. Search the site for sleep pattern.

But word to the wise... if it's that much trouble he's not ready for the change yet. When they're ready for the change it happens quite easily, surprisingly so in fact.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2013