What birth control did you use while breastfeeding? adult content

I am going to ask for a progestin only pill tomorrow but what did you use?

With our first we used the pull out method and I got pregnant after 3 years on the first time he didn't pull out. Dumbasssss! ( love my baby! )

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:34 AM on Jan. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• We used natural Family plnning. Worked just fine for us.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:44 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• While breast feeding I've not my periods for a year.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 2:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I didn't have a period for two years while breastfeeding my first. That doesn't mean I cant start to ovulate at any time unknowingly and have that egg fertilised.

Getting pregnant again is not an option. We are barely affording the family we have.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• The progestin only pill is safe, but if you don't remember to take pills then it's not a good choice.

Paragard IUD is a popular choice. Depo Provera is also OK. Non hormonal methods are preferred, condoms being the best choice out of those. Pullout is about as good as doing nothing at all. You could actually be pregnant again already!

I used charting. And the "unemployment" method, which can be read in both senses of the word.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Oh... if getting pregnant again is NOT an option... then IUD or "unemployment method."

Answer by gdiamante at 2:28 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• There has been no penetration since the birth of the baby. I am not pregnant! I am very good at taking a pill everyday. No idea what the unemployment method is. Is that another word for abstinence or do you mean get on welfare?
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:36 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• If I recall correctly depo is also a progestin only method but it is active for three months so if it did cause supply issues for any reason it would be harder to manage than the pill in which case I could simply quit taking.

I suppose condoms in conjunction with the pill would be ideal. He has refused the vasectomy idea.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• **grin** Unemployment method means my husband was unemployed. So there was no sex. Which means his anatomy was also not "employed"... or used!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Yes, condoms in conjunction with the pill would be best, in case of slips. The minipill has to be taken at the same time daily so it's really persnickety.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I was on the minipill. The only problem was that you have less of a margin of error than with the standard pill (3 hours instead of 12).
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:56 AM on Jan. 3, 2013