My 16 month old still takes a 8 oz bottle in the am and 8 oz bottle at bed time... I'm worried about her teeth but she will NOT drink milk out of anything else. She'll drink anything else from a cup! I've even tried warming it up and putting it in a cup. I don't want to quit giving her milk bottle because she's not a big meat eater and her ped said she need to get her protein through milk... Any suggestions on how to get her to drink milk from a cup?

karlie826

Asked by karlie826 at 3:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is this stuff called 'Pediasure' and its has the protein your dd needs, plus much more. Here is the link iof you want to see more info on this    https://pediasure.com/

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• My daughters took a bottle for breakfast until they were about 3 1/2 ... and had no problems with their teeth. For them it was a comfort thing :) When we finally gave up the bottles, it was because they agreed to because they were now big girls and didn't need them. no hassle, no tears, no stress ...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:18 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Just throw the bottles away and if she wants milk she will drink it from a sippy if there is no other option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• If you really want her off the bottles. Take all the bottles (in front of her) throw them in the trash and put it out side in the big trash. Tell her bottle are no more.

Answer by louise2 at 6:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• There are better protein sources than milk. My doctor didn't push for kids to be off the bottle until 18 months but if you want her off, take them away and find other options.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:08 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• they have sippy cups that have the same nipple texture as the bottle but in a sippy cup shape... there is a ton of transition cups with different nipples that are all the same texture from suppy cup to straw - worth a shot - i know the NUK brand is pretty good with this
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 9:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Lose the bottles. Literally, she will fuss but will have not choice.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Just look at her dairy intake. Is she eating things like yogurt and cheese? She really doesn't need the milk or the meat. Just make sure that she is eating a diet that is rich in other protein and calcium sources.

Also, don't give her pediasure. It's crap. It might have some decent stuff in it, but also full of stuff she doesn't need

2 of my 3 kids didn't drink milk or juice until they were about 5. Their choice. Just wouldn't take it. They are also now healthy teens.
    My youngest took milk but wouldn't eat meat. He's about to turn 8 and also no health issues from it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• In addition to being a soft hearted mommy wimp, I tried ripping the bottles away and ended up with a child I could not stand for two weeks who was losing weight in a hurry. My son tends to be much much more stubborn (even at that age) than other kids but I moved to the soft nippled sippy cups to start out with. The night time milk is part of the routine and the best thing I found was to add other things to the routine--books, cuddles, songs, prayers, picking jammies, lullaby cd--once you implement the new routine the milk is less of a security thing and you can get her to switch to water.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• At 16 months I wouldn't worry too much about still having a bottle before bed and at wake up. It's not ideal, but try to brush her teeth after the nighttime bottle, right before bed. You don't want the milk doing more harm than good. I have an 18 month old and we've weaned her off of the nighttime bottle because that is the more important one for her teeth. She still takes one in the morning, and we don't stress about it.
    1974newmom

Answer by 1974newmom at 4:35 AM on Jan. 16, 2013