I have a 17 month old boy & when he doesn't get his way he gives a nasty grunt! or he looks right at me & scratches me he really has a bad attitude being this young I need some HELP : ) ... I usually hold his hands down say NO skratching or he gets the playypen not working though

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that's normal for that age. he's testing his limits. you just have to be persistent. tell him "no scratching, that hurts mommy, i don't like that" then walk away. don't give him any attention, don't talk to him.
    Anonymous

• you took the words right out of my mouth anonymous
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• And remember that it's going to take over a 100 times of repeating the same discipline before he "gets" it - his brain simply isn't wired yet to remember anything for very long, but the more consistent you are, the more his brain will retain it. My son is 3 1/2 and still needs reminders about scratching, hitting, etc...especially when his emotions are really strong. It's also a good idea to give them their emotion words when they are acting out physically AND to give them ways of displaying their negative emotions appropriately - like hitting pillows instead of people. Good luck and be patient!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2009