Does deodorant weaken the material in your shirts/blouses?

I can't help but wonder about this, b/c it seems that if anyone in my family develops a hole in their shirt, it's usually in the armpit. I know it's on a seam, but I also noticed that not all of the deodorant gets washed away. I've noticed a bit of whitening or sometimes yellowing in the lighter colored materials even after being washed. What do you think? Also, any tricks to get all the deodorant off in the wash cycle?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 3, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• It depends on the fabric but generally no, it doesn't weaken it, only stiffens it. To get the deodorant stains out, you can try a little vinegar or fabric softener liquid or baking soda and water paste and use an old toothbrush to clean it out. Do not mix the vinegar and baking soda together. Try each solution separately. Brush softly in a circular motion and use warm, not hot, water.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• It could, I suppose. I would think, though, that the seam in the armpit gets friction from both sides (the underside of your arm, plus the side of your body), which would weaken it faster than the other areas of the shirt, that only touch one part of your body.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:57 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I don't know if deodorants weaken fabric, but I know perspiration does. That is what the yellowing is likely from as well. I am not sure how to combat this other than, washing shirts inside out to best rinse out the residue, and using a spray pretreat solution in the pits.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:23 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• What kind of deodorant are they using? Try a clear one if it isn't washing out. She is right. Sweat will discolor and break material down over the product.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:18 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• scrub before you wash

and yellowing is from sweat
    throw those shirts away
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2013