My job.

I work as a cook at a nursing home. Im the only night cook and there iz supposed to be 2 to alternate nights i have 10 per pay period n the second cook is supposed to have 5 days per pay psriod. Well 3 months ago the other coom quit so those days are open for me n the morning cooks to pick up i work mon-thursday n every other weekend. Im supposed to have 2 weekdays off one wsek n one weekday off the next n so on for the month. I dont complain bc i know we r short for help. But when i need a day off bc kids are sick or no babysitter no one can pick up a few hours so i can be home with my kids till hubby gets home. Im not asking for them to pick up my shift just from 1-3. I work from 1-7. I really dont think its fair to be the only night cook n having one weekday off to get billz paid n make appointments do laundry go grocery shopping All in one day. Plus only one car which hubby has at work. Then i have to call in today bc no sitter n my boss tells me that the morning cook that has off today will work for me but will take my whole shift i only needed fdom 1-3. Hubby gets mad n is like they r going to fire you. Im like doubtful im the only pm cook n they would really be struggleing. I dont call in all the time. Last month i worked all month no call ins no going in late even pickex up most of the days that were open. This is more of a vent than a question.

mommyof3_21

Asked by mommyof3_21 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 3, 2013 in Money & Work

• doesnt seem fair tbh
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• You are upset because the woman who will cover for you wants to work he entire shift. She has to make all the arrangements and shift her schduale around to accommodate you. I can see where if you need to be home for sick kids you should just take the shift off. and be happy they accommodate you. If you feel that you need more time, do not pick up the other shifts. It is your choice to take the extra time at work, but then to bitch that you don't have that same time off to do the things we need to do, seems rediculous.
    Here is a tip. Your job is not one that can not easily be filled so do not think that you can do what you like and still have a job. I would listen to your husband on this.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• No im not bitching about that. That was fine with me. That was last month when i picked up extra shifts. This month they schedueled me everyday except fridays. But if i need someone to cover my shift most of the time they say no bc they would work double. Im saying it would be nice if maybe they would hire another pm cook to be able to trade shifts easily
    mommyof3_21

Comment by mommyof3_21 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Ah I guess I wasn't clear on that. Have you asked them when they are going to hire another cook?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• No one likes the job. I have been there 5 months n they say before i was hired they went a year without 2 pm cooks.
    mommyof3_21

Comment by mommyof3_21 (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I would think tons of people would be looking right now. They.must not be trying hard enough.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2013