Carry on, WBC, carry on

In an odd sort of way, the actions of the WBC actually help further the cause of those fighting for equal rights and an end to bigotry. 

Thank You Westboro Baptist Church!

Do you agree, or disagree, that bringing such bigotry out into the bright, bright sunshine can help others evaluate the message of hate or distrust that many preach behind closed doors?  What do you think of the points made in the blog?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 11:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I agree with the blog,it has brought out the best in people who were opposed to gay relationships, and have made the gay saga a human one......

Answer by older at 9:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• ive never thought about it that way. while i despise the WBC i do have some moderate (under 30) Christian friends who have changed their views on gay rights based off of the WBC & other things. they still believe homosexuality is a sin, but they understand that denying them rights isnt right, no matter what their religious belief is. and really thats all that matters. so long as you arent standing in the way of others rights, believe whatever you want. just dont expect everyone to like it.

i watched a great documentary on them a while back and its a real eye opener. they really are one family and their poor kids dont know anything of the Bible other than "God hates fags". they also have the dirtiest mouths! the documentary made Phelps look mentally ill.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I see the point, but I am not sure the heartache they cause for the people they picket is worth it. I do so enjoy watching towns come together to fight off WBC though-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:42 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Actually I think it may help some people cling further to their bigotry. In the way that they think-see, now that is truely hateful. I'm not like that I just think gays will burn I hell if they don't deny their true selves.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• People are REALLY good at avoiding uncomfortable introspection. So while it does bring the topic out into the "bright bright light" and might make some people think about it more, I'm not sure that any good that comes of it will be greater than any bad. It's too easy to think of them as just being those crazy heartless extremists, while I'm just quietly hating the sin not the sinner... I'm totally different than they are. Think of the extreme moral policing that goes on in some middle-eastern countries. Has the regular exposure to their outrageous craziness changed the opinions of people who believe that we need more "good religious morals" and "modest family values" in our society?
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• My problem is not with their bigotry itself, but the way they handle things. While I will never agree with someone who thinks that blacks, gays, or any other group deserves less rights than others, or who says that soldiers are dying because God hates our country, I can at least respect someone who will simply state their opinion, or who can explain their reasoning - even if I don't agree with the reasoning. But when you picket the funerals of soldiers and children and spew this kind of stuff - that is the problem for me. The lack of respect for others, and claiming that it's what "God would want." That makes other Christians look bad, and I won't lie - groups like WBC do make me tend to feel a bit wary around someone who seems super religious. I know they're not all like that, but it still makes me wary.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• It brings the actions of a select group into the limelight and certainly in a bad way.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I might have agreed with you, LostSoul, if not for the fact that the WBC, with all of its despicable ways, does force people to reflect on their own views about gays and gay rights.  At least, hopefully, they will consider their own closeted bigotry and what messages they may be fed in their own "better" churches that might also be preaching against gay rights, but in a more sedate, non-confrontational way.  Think of all those here who don't believe that gays are deserving of the same rights as others, but use the worn out line "love the sinner, hate the sin".  It's the same judgemental views, just carried out in different ways. 

That's the beauty of the WBC.  They don't hide their hate.  It's right out there for everyone to see.  That, in my opinion, is better than the sanctimonious "protect marriage" groups that use Washington to back their bigoted platforms.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• i think WBC needs to be all stuffed in a shuttle and sent off to the black hole.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I think that what they do is get you to thinking about your own belief's. I may not agree with someone but my love for God says that I shouldn't be condemming them and saying that God hates them. In fact it's just the opposite. God loves every one of his children. In the end only he decides the punishment.

I do think that it has actually helped gay rights, etc. because it they bring such haterd out that people want to protect whoever is being protested against no matter if you believe as the deceased did or not.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:20 AM on Jan. 3, 2013