S/o.. Do you lie to your children

And tell them bad stuff will never happen again or to them?

funlovinlady

Asked by funlovinlady at 11:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• I will never say bad stuff will never happen to them but I am honest with my children. They know where their meat comes from.
    We were at a hunting store yesterday and they had tons of stuffed animals (the taxidermy ones). My DD asked if they were real and I was honest and said YES they used to be but they were killed and stuffed for display. She didn't get upset, when she saw her daddy she told her how she saw dead animals that were stuffed, kind of excited about it.
    When we visit her granddads grave their is a little girls grave next to it with her picture on the grave stone and I was honest with her that sometimes little kids die. I don't sugar coat many things.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• No. I don't tell him all the bad stuff that COULD happen, but I don't say nothing ever will. I do tell him "You're okay", "We're okay", "It's gonna be okay"....things like that. But he's only 4 and hasn't asked many questions yet.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• No I didnt lie to them, and tell them bad things would never happen to them. But, I did look for the good side of bad things and point those out as well. Even in natural disasters, and school shootings, etc there are good things to show kids - how fast people come to help, how many people are there to help, that no one faces it alone, etc. Kids need honesty but they also need comfort and reassurance. There is nothing wrong with giving them both.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• No, I don't tell him bad things won't happen to him. I teach him how to minimize his risk. I don't tell him I will always be there for him. I also don't tell him just how bad it really is. He isn't ready for that. Hell, I'm not ready for how bad this world really is.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:33 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Straight up lie, no. But, shield from the harsh truth of reality, yeah, a bit.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:19 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• No. I don't tell them that bad things will never happen to them. I do tell them that if they are careful and take precautions, that it's less likely bad things will happen to them. I also don't tell them every single bad thing that *could* happen to them either. If they were to come to me with a specific question ("Will I be kidnapped?" "Will I be killed at a mall?"), I would answer as honestly as I could without terrifying them ("Well, I suppose it's possible, but I don't think that will happen. As long as you (insert preventive measures here), that will do a lot to prevent it from happening.")
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• No, because when he was two he got cancer and I was brutally honest with him. He was close to death from complications and I told him if he had to he could go but if he stayed we would fight this with all we had until they had to throw in a white towel he understood and now after that I could never lie to either of the guys again.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• She is 3. I try to be brutally honest while I can. Even the Santa thing bothered me. No mommy and daddy went broke to buy you that stuff. Not some fake fat guy. Lol.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• No, you can't tell them that kind of a lie. That is something they will never forgive if it turns out something does happen to them or again. I lie about Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy etc.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:48 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I don't say that bad things will never happen, but I do tell them that I will try to protect them from as much as possible.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2013