My ebf 4 mnth old is fussy at the breast the last few days. She had a large poop 3 days ago she has been straining pushing crying tensing her tummy and legs for the last 2 days. Usually if I help with a thermometer and Vaseline she goes right away but this time it doesn't help except this morning she had a small poop which was alot thicker then normal.. But shes straining still and seems to need a lot of force to pass gas even.. I'm considering a suppository but not sure. Any suggestions?

Mother of 3.

Melly2022

Asked by Melly2022 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Have you tried putting her into a warm bath and massaging her tummy there? That worked on one of my kids. I would NOT give prune juice and water if she has only had breast milk...but that's just me!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• If she is constantly gassy I would look into what you are eating. Many foods that give you gas can be causing your baby gas and that might help with the stomach aches. A little peppermint tea cooled down will also help calm her stomach down and relieve the gas buildup.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• We often joke that were doing the Tour de France because we bicycle so much lol!! And I often give little tummy massages with cream and try to get things going naturally. I'm an esthetician and am knowledged on the proper ways to massage them as it was part of our training (my teacher was a mom also and showed us how) I'm not sure if its similar here (Quebec Canada) we don't have an answering service it's a small private dr office.
    Melly2022

Comment by Melly2022 (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• If your Dr.'s office isn't open today, call and leave a message with the answering service for them to call you back (there is usually a nurse on call that will return calls). If that fails, call the nurseline on the back of your insurance card.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I would try a little water and bicycling her legs before I went with a suppository. Better to try to move her bowels naturally first.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• have you tried exercising her legs and lower region, my dad used to be a pro at this with all the grandkids. he lays the baby on his knees then gently moves the legs up down around and all over the place, it really helps to relieve gas and or constipation problems, maybe even giving her some tummy time would help? i know these are simple ideas but I would try everything first before going with a suppository or even the thermometer in the bum trick :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I did when my son was about that age, but only after the doctor told me to. I would say maybe give her a few sips of water, but the fact she did go a bit wouldn't have me too worried.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I would also not use vaseline inside the rectum. ONLY use KY jelly. It's water soluble. Call the Dr. again & ask what else you can give her. I think she is too young for suppositories. BTW, you can call any Pediatric office & ask for advice as well. Most all have a nurse on duty to answer questions. They don't ask if your child is a patient either.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• They are currently closed and Telehealth will just tell me to give her prune juice and water or take her to ER where they will strap her in this machine to take an x-ray... Neither of which I want to do since it's not that bad as of yet. She's relatively pleasant other then random instances where she is trying to push.. I'm a mother of 3 and not new to constipation (my son has dairy protein intolerance) it's her age that I'm not sure about just wanted to see if anyone has done a suppository on a 4 month old...
    Melly2022

Comment by Melly2022 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I would call the pediatrician
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2013