Hiccups?

My 1 week old daughter gets the hiccups alot. Is this normal? What causes this?

Jennyv143

Asked by Jennyv143 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is normal. I am not sure why they get them though. My daughter got hiccups constantly in my last 2 months of pregnancy...it freaked me out. :)
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Did she get them a lot in utero? My son had them all the time when I was pregnant and still got them a lot for the first couple months. It's very normal. If it bothers her too much try burping her or using gripe water.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• yeah my son had them alot when he was first born, like 8 times a day... on my first ultra sound he had them too.... cuz we saw him moving.... the tech was like baby's got hiccups. My MIL gave calvin a pacifier when he got them.... i dont' know if it really worked.... he doesn't get them much anymore, maybe only every couple of days now
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 11:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• They can get them if they are cold. Try see if wrapping her up super warm helps
    LuvMybebe

Answer by LuvMybebe at 11:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• it's normal and it's good for their lung development. It may seem like it bugs them but they are pretty used to it because almost all babies hiccup in the womb. If it seems to bother her (or you) try holding her close and breath deep and evenly.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 12:13 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It is normal, like everyone said it is. I recently took a little infant massage class in the NICU where my twins are, and the lady there taught a little bit of reflexology and said on the foot, or hand, in the center of it to rub it back and forth slowly and that will help with the hiccups as well. She said that it's part of the digestive system. I haven't tried it yet, but she said that she's had a lot of people tell her that it worked for them, and it worked on her grandkids so it's worth a shot. Hope this helps.
    Rosalie29

Answer by Rosalie29 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• yeah it is my 5 m/o. still gets them at times....she had them in utero about 2 times a day for the last couple months.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:25 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Its normal. Not much you can do for a young baby. They say not to give them any water that young. When my son gets them he gets frustrated and I hold him close and pat and rub his back. And that usually calms him.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:25 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I used kolik water for my son when he got the hiccups,it worked like a charm. He seemed to get them every time he finished eating, as soon as he was burped. Sometimes I'd pop him back on the boob and a few gulps would make them go away. Supposedly they don't bother the baby as much as they bother us, but I couldn't deal with them!!
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 7:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• My daughter got them even while inside the womb!!! Nobody knows why they get them but they do annoy the parents more than it does the baby.
    MadisynsMom0114

Answer by MadisynsMom0114 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2009