23 months old hasnt said one word. need some advice.

This is not my child, he is my friends child, My daughter is 19 months & can say a few small sentences, but him its just all gibberish. He understands everything that's said to him, His dad says mount up, he climbs into his high chair, I say give me high 5 and he does, I say dont touch that he doesn't, he shares, & plays, and even gives me smooches. I know that children are expected to reach mile stones, & that this is one of them, but hes turning 2, & no words. His parents complain about it, but dont do anything . when i baby sit him I read to both of them ( mine & him) I point out & name body parts, eyes nose ear, I point to things & say the name, but im not his mother Im not sure what else i can do for him. anyone else had this happen to their child if yes, how did they get over it???

NiekaC

Asked by NiekaC at 11:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Boys tend to talk much slower than girls. As long as he is attempting communication, I wouldn't worry. I have a relative who didn't really talk until 30 months, but you sure knew when he wanted something! He doesn't stop talking now.

Just be sure to talk to him like a grown-up. No baby talk, so the words he is learning are solid.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:14 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• At 2 he should be saying at least 50 words and using a few 2-3 word phrases. YOU are doing what you can. The parents should call Early Intervention (in my opinion) and have him evaluated. He may qualify for speech therapy.

My youngest didn't say a single word until he was 22 months...and had just started speech therapy. Sometimes it just takes a little something extra to get them going.

You're doing well from what you've written. Keep reading and pointing things out. Model the words for him, saying them slowly and try to get him to repeat. Don't use baby talk...but use what our speech therapist calls "mother-ese"...Instead of saying "Johnny, throw the ball to me." just say "Johnny throw ball!" Concentrate on phrases...slowing down your speech. Don't just give him something he's to which he's pointing. Try to get some specific sound out of him before you give the item.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• There is no SHOULD with a toddler and speech. My two yr old was not speaking at all at 2 either. You said he talks gibberish. Thats words. Hes just not saying it in a way that you can understand. It sounds like he has the annunciation issues as well. This is so common with boys. He would probably benefit from EI at this point. It was about 2 and 1/2 that my son finally said momma and dadda. He is just about 3 and he never shuts up. So in 6 mos he went from nothing to phrases. He still struggles with sentences and doesn't use he, she, it, we...but he does use adjectives and nouns. I did not do EI because his doc and I talked about it. He told me that as long as he was progressing, even if it was behind the other kids, then let him go at his own pace. In the last 2 mos he has begun using his brother and sisters names. Its the cutest thing because it comes out so funny. When we are explaining a sound to him, cont
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:31 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• we let him see our mouths moving to make the sound. That seems to help. I don't think he even says 50 words now at almost 3. Its just at his own pace. He repeats things as well and understands everything that we are saying. Also if he is still using a passy (as mine was at 2) then this will hinder a child who is already not wanting to talk. Have her doc look at him and reccomend to her what she should do. My doc was very much in line with how I felt about having the state in my business. I just wanted to do it on my own and he is progressing very well. Good luck to your friend.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:34 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Every child develops differently. Does the family have a pediatrician they go to? He should be recommending testing by age 3. My son is VERY slow. He just turned three, and in the last 6 months has started to talk. His comprehension at 9 months was way beyond his age, but his speech is behind. I wonder if his brain has jsut been super busy with other things! LOL! Anyway, my doctor said to keep an eye on him and at age 4, when he is ready for school, if there is still a problem, we will get him tested.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:53 AM on Feb. 13, 2009