23 month old hasnt said 1 word

This is not my child, he is my friends child, My daughter is 19 months & can say a few small sentences, but him its just all gibberish. He understands everything that's said to him, His dad says mount up, he climbs into his high chair, I say give me high 5 and he does, I say dont touch that he doesn't, he shares, & plays, and even gives me smooches. I know that children are expected to reach mile stones, & that this is one of them, but hes turning 2, & no words. His parents complain about it, but dont do anything . when i baby sit him I read to both of them ( mine & him) I point out & name body parts, eyes nose ear, I point to things & say the name, but im not his mother Im not sure what else i can do for him. anyone else had this happen to their child if yes, how did they get over it???

NiekaC

Asked by NiekaC at 11:23 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Sometimes boys talk later than girls. If it were my child, I would continue the reading and talking to him. Talk alot, just describe things you are doing. But I wouldn't be real worried yet...within this next year he should start to talk more....if by say 3 he still isn't talking then I'd ask his doctor.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My son didn't talk till he was 18 months. Later we found out he had sensory integration dysfunction. I would tell your friend of your worries and just ask her to ask her doctor about it next time she goes in. The earlier they get help the better.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:28 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• it depends on the family. if the are bilingual i know sometime it takes a little longer, if also depend on the little boy if he wants to talk and then it could be something. If the parents complain again just tell them when the go to the 2yr doctor appt to tell the doctor about their concerns.

emmasmom1

Answer by emmasmom1 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• If the parents are concerned, they can call Early Intervention services for their area and have their child evaluated for free and then, if he needs services, EI usually provides them for free & in the home, too. He may even qualify for a special needs preschool/HeadStart program, also for free. It can't hurt to have him evaluated and, like I said, the evaluation & services are usually free; it's a win-win all the way around.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2009