When did you change your name?

When you got married did you take his last name, and how long did it take you to change it with the social security administration?

flowersmama

Asked by flowersmama at 3:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2013 in Relationships

• I changed it right away. I remember my new driver's license was dated 9/8/97, and I had gotten married on 9/6/97.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I just added his (hyphenated with my maiden) and I think I changed it with SS within the month, but I know people who waited years, and others who never did.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I changed it officially a few months later, when we moved to another state & I had to get a new license.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• technically i hyphenated my last name, but i rarely ever use the hyphenated version. i changed mine w/ SS about a week after my marriage, but mainly b/c my driver's license was about to expire. i figured id go ahead & get my new name on it then instead of having to pay the money to get a new one later.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I didn't change my last name. HE changed HIS last name to mine! It only took him a few days to get it changed but got some really funny looks/comments when he did.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• It was all official within 2 weeks
    ID was 3 days after the wedding, SS card came in 2 weeks

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I did it all at once why?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I changed it ASAP.

Answer by louise2 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• When I got divorced I changed to my maiden name and kept it when I got married.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• It took me a while. I wan't going to change it for professional reasons, but decided after six months it was too annoying not to change it and I wanted to share his name anyway.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2013