I want to helppp!

I saw something on Facebook today that broke my heart! It was babies covered in flies, sleeping on the floor! It broke my heart!!! It was somewhere in the poor countries!

I see groups of people going over there, and helping out, or doing something. So I was wondering , is there anywhere I can volunteer to help out at? Do I pay for anything?

Details , anything will help. Please.

StepMom2011

Asked by StepMom2011 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• There are babies here in the US who could really use your help.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Do you want to go there? If so be prepared to live and possibly die there. My friend did when she was shot but she lived her life as she wanted. Can you donate money to help? All you have to do is get on the internet and do a little research. It's there or watch TV and you'll see places you can donate to in order to help. Perhaps you want to adopt one of these children. Then you need to get a homestudy, etc and be prepared.

Before you can do anything you have to first decide what it is you want to do.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I realize that those pictures tug at your heart. They are meant to to get your money.

My suggestion is to see where you can volunteer in your own community. Believe me when I tell you there is need in every community.
    I know locally all our gov. officials are on the tube asking everyone to make a difference and volunteer.

Cwertainly you can join the peace corps but is that practical for you and your family at this time. And yes you pay all your own expenses except possibly the transportation to get there.

Our Church send volunteers every year to take supplies and build and basically do what we can. The Church through our collection provides for the needs of those going, very basic. and the supplies for aid.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Yeah,I'd concentrate on the people who need help HERE

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• If you want to help, go to a park in your city or a city near you and look for the homeless... make friends with the moms and babies there. I work with the homeless but I have also "adopted" a little guy who is homeless... No he doesn't live with me. He lives on the streets with his mom. She loves him, and is doing her best. But my dh and I help her out. His name is Evan and he is 5 now. I see him Mondays.in the park... She doesn't want charity, but we help make sure he has warm clothes and enough food. And we got him a helicopter toy for Christmas. There are little children right where you live that need you.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I think all these answers are good. You have to follow your heart, and whether it's helping locally or overseas, helping children is always the right thing to do!! I'd google it, and maybe check into local churches who do work here or overseas. I wish you the best, and think it's wonderful that you want to help others!!!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 4:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Nimue!
    That's so sweet, and such a good idea!
    StepMom2011

Comment by StepMom2011 (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• And thank you everyone else!
    I'm going to start googling some stuff.
    StepMom2011

• There are also programs that allow you to sponsor a child overseas. For a small sum every month, the child will receive all of the necessary vaccinations and will go to school. Until the child is ten (or thereabouts) you can write to her/him and they will write back with their news. I have a friend who did this when her children left home ...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Check them out before your send any money. Some programs are very very good and some are basically giving to the advertizers and sponsors.
    Yes had a bad experience but it is better now.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2013