Had unprotected sex last night (I'm on the pill) and I'm supposed to start amoxicillin for a sinus infection today. I know I need to use condoms from this point on but should I worry about last night's activities? lol

I know that sperm can live for a while inside of a women and hubby and I had sex last night. I'm worried that I'll end up pregnant. We know we need to use condoms now but could I end up pregnant from anything leftover from now on? I wouldn't think it would effect my BC that quickly, would it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Since you are laughing I will assume you already know the answer.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• WHENEVER you have unprotected sex you must be concerned. The antibiotics don't play a role here... when you ovulate does. If you have ovulated or WILL ovulate within the next few days, you have a good chance of getting pregnant. If you have NOT ovulated and WILL not for at least a week, then you're very unlikely to get pregnant.

Basic rule: Don't want to be pregnant? You MUST use proitection. No matter what else is going on.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Did you miss the part about the birth control? We've been married for 5 years and have never used condoms...I just take my birth control on time every day and I've not had any accidental pregnancies.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I think this is the first good "could I get pregnant" question I've read here. I honestly have no idea how long it takes for antibiotics to affect birth control.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• A healthy sperm will generally live about 72 hours. Some say longer but 72 hours is the general rule... that's like 3 days. If you had sex last night you are several hours into that 72 hours right now. So you start your antibiotic... the antibiotic could cause your BC to fail, and you could ovulate. But, that won't happen in the next two days... You have to take the antibiotic, it has to get into your system, build up its strength, trigger ovulation (if it happens), which is an increase in hormones, then you have to ovulate. By the time all of that happens, the current sperm in your body will have died. So you are safe... :)

My BFF is a FNP and Ive listened to her explain this to women....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Go nimue!! Great answer. My advice would have been to wait the 72 hours to start the antibiotics. But I think you will be fetus free either way. Hope that clears up for you.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Thanks ladies! I feel better after reading that nimue930...gonna start the antibiotic tonight (:
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2013