Gilliam Asperger's Disorder Scale-GADS or Asperger Syndrome Diagnostic Scale - ASDS.

my daughter 5.5 will have eval for school in feb
seems they have to do evals every few years to label and get funding for special ed stuff

thing is
my daughter has autism, not aspergers

i have called the special ed teacher, she does not know why, it is coming from the School Psychologist
special ed calling and asking School Psychologist

i have a call into my ABA team, asking if this is normal< or a way to get a lower label=less money
i am waiting for reply to my phone message i left

anyone have a child in spectrum and know anything about this?

*(please do not tell me to post in an autism group, i am in a few, but every question i have posted, takes three days to get one reply) i would rather have a dozen i do not know, then zero answers in groups
**and yes, this is in right section, as there is no special needs section, about cafemom gets all my special needs questions

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 4:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2013 in About CafeMom

• GARS is the autism test that sounds comparable. I'm not sure what it stands for, you can google it I'm sure. Definitely sound like a way to get out of funding her services if she can qualify on an aspergers scale.
    I am normally a very nice person and avoid confrontation at all costs, but you mess with my son's services and I become a crazy lady! My friends all say "well, if anyone can get it, Melissa can!" :) It's sad that we have to fight so hard for our kids. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 7:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• My son receives services through the school under the Blanket of Autism even though he has Asperger's. Like, His IEP says he is qualified under an ASD. I would imagine it is just a formality to ensure she is getting the correct services?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• is she going into 1st grade this fall?
    Here they separate the special needs into categories. What they can accomplish alone,with an aide,and what they need to be pulled out for(speech OT,PT) for the 1-12 grades
    Have you gotten a definitive dx for autism,or are they leaning more PDD-NOS?
    Yeah,they try to get the least amount of help for each kid. If calling it Asperger's does this,they'll push for that dx. They'll push for her to do things alone versus having someone watch over her. They'd rather have them prove they need the help to avoid the expense of a paraprofessional.
    You have to insist on what YOU feel she needs. Tell them they can always pull back if she becomes more independent,but you need them to have the services written into the IEP

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• I guess I am just in a really progressive school system. I have never had to worry about my son loosing any kind of services. If nothing else they keep adding them. I really wish they would up the minimum standards of education for all special needs kids. I hate that every county/state is SO different. We can't even move closer to DH job because the school system SUCKs there. They have nothing for him.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• It definitely sounds like they are trying to save money at your daughter's expense
    I'm sorry you're going through this
    As if your life isn't crazy enough as it is!
    BIG HUGS!!!!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• At this time if a child has an aspie dx in my area then the dx does not qualify for the school to provide services. Considered not an impairment to educational functioning.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Bump...hopefully someone will be able to help you.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Both of my kids have been through this, and will go through it every few years, even though we know the results. They have to, if the kids are going to continue getting services.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• See your state may work differently? Because like I said Asperger's is considered Autism here. Can you call the county special Education director. Or will your insurance pay for you to get a private reeval? (That is what we do- we never use the schools psych.)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Our school does both testings. I don't see the point, when you know what the results will be, but they are required to do it anyway.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2013